Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Geared M Farmall

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmallfanatic

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was just wondering if there was a way to tell if a Farmall M has a very low 1st gear. I have heard it called a "picker gear". I have seen on the forums that a Farmall H with a serial number ending in "A" will have a lower 1st gear than most H's. Is there a quick way to identify a low geared M?

PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The serial designation should be the same. Of course the M starts off differently but it should end the same with X1A, X6, etc. Look for one with X1A. A low geared M would kick butt on a nice hard track where you can go slowly, in real heavy classes.

Farmallfanatic

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok so a serial number ending with X1A should be low
geared. X6 would be the same?

Trkr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a 1950 X1A M.I don't know why they didn't build more of the M's like this,makes it a much more usable tractor in my opinion.Wide open in first is a little over 1 mph.Reverse is also geared very low,and I can back a 4 wheeled hay wagon up into the bank barn with it,without slipping the clutch.Can't do that with our Super M.

Farmallfanatic

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's what I wanted to hear! I think it would help out a little bit on the track until I can afford to build an engine. Thanks for the info!

778899m
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1 MPH will not pull anything except the hubs if you weight it even to be effective,speed and tire rotation is what wins pulls.

PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

778899m wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:01:45 09/15/13) 1 MPH will not pull anything except the hubs if you weight it even to be effective,speed and tire rotation is what wins pulls.

Wrong. I pull very well with my low geared H.

778899m
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my friend's slow H does 2.5 mph, with 14.9's,not "ONE" big difference !!!!!!!!!!!! JOHN DEERE'S IN CREEPER ARE OVER ONE.

PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Think what you want.
My Farmall H in first is barely over 1 mph.

Last edited by PretendFarmer on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
778899m
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

depends on who you pull against,facts are facts,you must be at half throttle and very short tires,or the mph reader is way off.No read out shows one mph or less until the pull is almost done.I guarantee that if you have normal competition one mph does not win VERY OFTEN !!!!!!!! And sweetheart,my friend has a slow first,still runs 2.5 at high idle,think what you want,one is SLOW.

PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

778899m wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:10:43 09/16/13) depends on who you pull against,facts are facts,you must be at half throttle and very short tires,or the mph reader is way off.No read out shows one mph or less until the pull is almost done.I guarantee that if you have normal competition one mph does not win VERY OFTEN !!!!!!!! And sweetheart,my friend has a slow first,still runs 2.5 at high idle,think what you want,one is SLOW.

What you say doesnt make me win less.

778899m
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pretend farmer might just be a pretend winner too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

778899m wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:39:23 09/18/13) pretend farmer might just be a pretend winner too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya never know.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

778899m wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:39:23 09/17/13) pretend farmer might just be a pretend winner too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretend Farmer has already told us that where he pulls they do not allow "speed pulling" . I have pulled with that group in the past and got their new rules with newsletter this spring. The rules stated that speed would not be allowed, and that judges would decide and disqualify offenders. They get a decent turn out at one member's property twice a year for a sled pull, maybe forty hooks, the others are, to the best of my knowledge, stone boat pulls. They seem to be struggling with turnout. The news letter stated 9 tractors at the first event this year.

B t

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Low Geared M Farmall Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's why he says he wins all the time with a H, 9 tractors at a
pull? A cub could probably place.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.