Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Looking For?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
L.B,
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Howard Trans add on.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have an N that has sentimental value and you want to run a rototiller then by all means keep looking for a Howard.
Spend a Thousand or Two to buy it plus whatever repairs it needs.
If you aren't attached to your tractor for sentimental reasons then sell your N and look for a 3000.
Find the right one and you will get an 8 speed tranny capable of running a rototiller. You're also likely get live pto, live hydraulics, differential lock, power steering, 12V standard, much greater longevity from a gas or diesel engine, remote hydraulic valves, a host of other refinements. You'll have that same sweet, nimble workhorse that is a Ford and it will run all of your existing implements.
You'll be money and tractor ahead.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ditto what UD said 100%

you can even get a 2000 in the 3 cyl series.. but you usually see them less configured.. more economy machines..

Lisa K
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

L.B, wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:16:34 09/14/13) Howard Trans add on.

One guy I heard back from didn't have one but would do some checking around.

L.B,
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That sounds doable and makes me think. I know everyone says ya cant till with a N but I have for 20 plus yrs I guess I didn't know it cant be done. Once its broke up its easy. I done gardens,yards and horse arenas. What I want was for bush hoggin.

Kornfused

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have been tillin with an 8N, I believe that you could brush hog it just as well. I hope you have ORC.

L B,

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Lisa

L.B,
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok Ill see what on TH site.

L.B,
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea on ORC, I think the use of a bush hog is not uniform from one person to the next on the site. In S Missouri it is used to tackle oak and cedar trees before they take over a pasture. Some places they can be used on cat tails, and some use it on grass. I use mine on kochia weed, sun flowers with stocks bigger then broom sticks,sweet clover,wild alfalfa you name it. Even in low it will bog ya down and ya have to go over it more then once and different angles. A bush hog does not cut as much it uses the blades to hit hard and rip stuff into, it does not always cut clean like a rotary or finish mower.In my case if I had to rely on a clean cut a bush hog would be useless as a finish mower. L.B, Master of the obvious

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one but probably not going to get it apart until the spring. if you are still looking by then send me an email. Located in Great Meadows, NJ 07838

Kirk

Kornfused

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

understand agree with what you are saying - I'm just saying that if you have been rototillin with it all along, then you ain't new to this rodeo and I believe you could handle it without the Howard.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

keep an eye posted here and craigslist too

george tegeler

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently acquired an 8n with an under-drive. The tractor wouldn't go into 2nd gear. In researching I found that I have a Howard. The Howard has a cut-out on the side for the 2nd/4th shift fork shaft to slide into. This is all aft of the trans housing. I split the rear-end away & found the cut-away was not quite right & the fork shaft would contact the Howard thus not allowing it to go into 2nd. A couple minuets with a die grinder fixed it. I guess 2nd gear hasn't worked since the howard was installed decades ago.

jon
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

L.B, wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:16:34 09/13/13) Howard Trans add on.

How much are the Howards bringing now?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters