Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmf1066
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This message is a reply to an archived post by G1355 on June 27, 2013 at 19:42:56.
The original subject was "I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle.".

My pencil generally doesn't lie. I've owned both gas and diesel. With my figures the gas truck was a 97 F350 with a 460 5speed 4x4 3.55 rears 10mpg empty and 5mph with a 15000 load with $3.50 gas that's $0.35 empty and $0.70 loaded. The truck I have now is a 2000 F350 7.3 6 speed 4x4 with 3.73 it gets 15 mpg empty and 10 mpg with a 15000 load. So with $4.00 fuel that's $0.26 empty and $0.40 loaded. With those figures it doesn't take long to pay for its self in just fuel savings not counting resale value. Then the second argument is service cost is that's a wash in my books. Sure the diesel costs more when it's time to service but when you do it half as often how can you say it really cost more? Then you are talking about speed. Have you ever been in a diesel with a $200 chip or programmer in it? It will blow the doors off your hemi! In my situation I can't afford not to have a diesel. Now that's my 2cents.

bobs old iron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

this topic has come up many of times, you're not alone on subject, myself have often woundered if i should get a gasser, but like your figures show, [maybe a little different] if using it enough, i rather have the power of a diesel, not chipped either, and it still pulls my trailers fine...

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not a young kid with an ego, I'm an old man, have worked for over 40 years in a tough profession. I probably can't justify a diesel either,but I LIKE DIESELs,I work on them for a living and that's the reason I drive one.Yes it's got a Chip and chrome stack and an exhaust brake, air bags and a few more goodies. Couldn't care less how much it costs to change the oil or how much milage it gets, it's my pleasure vehicle,to tow my antique tractors. It gets me away from the daily grind of being in business for yourself and the relaxiation of changing gears and hearing the diesel purr. One of the few things that an old man can enjoy and feel like a kid again. I'm at a point in life I don't have to justify anything,just enjoy it.

Nick m
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've noticed most people that gripe about diesels have never experienced them in the real world. My 01 dodge 4x4 5 speed diesel can get 20mpg empty. I've done it a couple times. Normally averages 17. Pulling is 12 to 15, depending on the load. I had a v10 dodge for about 6 months. What a turd that was. 10mpg empty and lots of problems. Even if it cost more to operate a diesel, I'd keep it just because I like it. Just like the tractors I have. I sure can't justify spending 60000+ on a new diesel though.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had both , had a 88 F350 4X4 cab and chassie 5 speed 4.10 gears with a custom 9 foot flat bed , i pulled a 28 foot gosseneck . I bought it well used and abused with 68000 miles on it . Had a ton of problems with it and even though i bought it used Ford was looking for this truck as there was a massive recall on it . Well a local Ford dealer did all the recalls and even a new paint job . and the problems were still there . After six or seven computers a bunch of sensors it was starting to be a good truck and why i was lucky on fuel mileage i have no idea maybe it was due to the fact that i had changed the timing gears on the crank and cam and went back to the pre 72 cam timing or what but truck only i would pull down over 15 mpg with the truck weighing in at 7500 lbs empty when the trailer was hooked to the truck and it weighed in at 7500 i would drop down to 12-13 then with a full load of either tractors or implement and that being maybe 4 to six transport disc's or maybe four semi mount plows and four disc's and what ever else i could stack on top of all that a couple thousand pounds of ft. weights and a set or two of duals it would go down to 10 MPG. and yes i kept records . at times i was changing oil twice a week due to the miles i was running . and at times i had way more on then i should have . I put 287000 miles on that truck . Now i have a Dodge with a Cumming . Would i go back to the 460 ?? not on your life , are there things i don't like about my Dodge you betya (1) i plum do not like the fact that it does not have lock out hubs (2) plum hate the ft wheel bearings . (3) don't like the 4.10 gears in mine . But do i want a gasser NOPE , i can work on mine with out a scan tool i do not have to change plugs just change oil and filters . Will my Cumming beat a 5.0 Mustang Nope But it gets down the highway just fine and PULLS the little hump and bumps great . I don't run all over four states anymore looking for sales and the most i pull now is the bale wagon or fertilizer buggy with six ton in it and as long as i can top Teegarden hill at 50 with six ton in forth gear i am happy. Your Hemi will not do that. And neither will a 460 .

T in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Repeat after me- "THERE IS NO 'G' IN CUMMINS"- OK, sorry, got that outta the way.

What year is it? Dynatrac has locking hubs and servicable wheel bearings for 94-up trucks now.

And if it's got the p-pump (Bosch P7100, 94-9Cool, all it takes is an Allen wrench and you can have that kid in the Mustang spending big bucks to outrun you again.

chucksoliver77
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

T in NE wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:54:27 09/15/13) Repeat after me- "THERE IS NO 'G' IN CUMMINS"- OK, sorry, got that outta the way.

What year is it? Dynatrac has locking hubs and servicable wheel bearings for 94-up trucks now.

And if it's got the p-pump (Bosch P7100, 94-9Cool, all it takes is an Allen wrench and you can have that kid in the Mustang spending big bucks to outrun you again.

So your saying turn the screw on the pump and that truck will run the 1/4 mile in 12.60 at 112mph instead of 17.50 at 75mph, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Chuck

Last edited by chucksoliver77 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has a P pump and it is a 95 . Yes it is tweaked as far as i want , yes it will fog for skeeters . Yes i can get MORE but then ya need to SPEND more to upgrade this then that . I am happy with where it is set and that is all that matters to me .

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has a P pump and it is a 95 . Yes it is tweaked as far as i want , yes it will fog for skeeters . Yes i can get MORE but then ya need to SPEND more to upgrade this then that . I am happy with where it is set and that is all that matters to me . It will twist 3 grand if needed but for the most part she never runs much over 22-2400 . And only has 151000 miles on it , and i intend to still be driven it till the day they plant me . Then the War Dept and dig a big hole and put me and my Goat in it and back fill.

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can get 17 unloaded with my hemi, 8 with 15,000 loaded, and its trouble free, and I beat my buddies 2007 6.6 duramax that has a 135hp bully dog chip and 40hp injectors, he can sure blow smoke, but its not nothing fast. Not to mention I don't have the extra cost of all the new diesels with def fluid, I like my hemi and either way if I buy a truck it's gonna be a dodge, I have nothing against the cummins either. And yes I drive diesel trucks everyday at work, none impress me. Everyone has there own preference and the dodge is mine.

T in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Of course that depends on how good the kid in the mustang is, too.

jimg.allentown
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Let me say a few words here about "chips" in your computers....

First let me ask how many of the people in this crowd believe in clean water, air, and soil??

Having been to several manufacturers schools on emissions and emission technology, I have gained a respect for what a manufacturer has to comply with to even get a vehicle to market. All manufacturere that want to sell vehicles in the US have to satisfy THREE major parameters:
EPA - they set limits on emissions of polloutant.
CAFE - they set limits on fuel consumption.
THE PUBLIC - set limits on what they will tolerate in terms of performance and economy.

Now, some kid in a garage somewhere with a computer can take the programming and "improve" it. Yeah. And there is born a faster or more powerful engine that no longer meets the legal standards that the manufacturer had to meet in order to legally sell that vehicle to the public. Then I see one of them going down the highway pouring out thick black smoke......

Not a real big deal seemingly as the smoke slowly dissipates and the air clears....BUT now multiply that by the 10 MILLION or so diesel pickups on the road and what do you get?

WayneB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is my humorous bottom line. Those that live in the suburbs, you may need to drive a gasser, hybrid or electric. You'll wake your neighbors warming up the 4x4 dually with a camper shell and no trailer hitch, and really, it won't get very good mileage.
If you are really concerned about air quality, ride a bicyle or get an electric car, as long as your grid is not produced by coal.
If you are a farmer, business man, etc, do the math, run your likes and dislikes and do as you please, and I wish for you with all my heart you can balance the books and make money.
If anyone has been taken by gunpoint to the dealer and made buy a diesel, please share the story. Really, I need a good laugh.

varmint
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

welding man wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:23:13 09/15/13) I'm not a young kid with an ego, I'm an old man, have worked for over 40 years in a tough profession. I probably can't justify a diesel either,but I LIKE DIESELs,I work on them for a living and that's the reason I drive one.Yes it's got a Chip and chrome stack and an exhaust brake, air bags and a few more goodies. Couldn't care less how much it costs to change the oil or how much milage it gets, it's my pleasure vehicle,to tow my antique tractors. It gets me away from the daily grind of being in business for yourself and the relaxiation of changing gears and hearing the diesel purr. One of the few things that an old man can enjoy and feel like a kid again. I'm at a point in life I don't have to justify anything,just enjoy it.

i gotta go along with thet - a hundred pur cent

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I tried,,,, Cant justify a diesel tow vehicle. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can and did justify a diesel over gas!

I agree with your findings. My fuel milage is a little better at 20-21mpg on the open road and 14-15 loaded heavy around town.

I'll add a few more opinions.

I bought a 06 Dodge Mega Cab with the 5.9 Cummins. Motor has been trouble free for 192,000 miles so far. I expect it will run close to double that and my cost per mile to own gets lower every mile.

It's been pd for for several years and I sure don't miss payments.

I bought the diesel mega cab because of the room & I can leave it running in 100 degree weather and the AC still blows cold. Cruise can be set, when parked, so that the engine rpm is run up to a fast idle just like the big rigs. I'm a Realtor and it pays to keep my clients cool when out looking at homes.

If you can stand to drive the same vehicle for 3-400,000 miles, I think a diesel is a lot cheaper to own than gas.

My previous experience with gas trucks is somewhere around 150k they are junk. I've never gotten a rebuilt motor the was worth it. I think it has to do with our heat down here in Houston.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters