Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Going to another auction next Saturday. They have a JD DBF 17-hole drill. It's a little bigger than I need, but if the price is right .... Can I pull it with my TO-30? I pull a 2-bottom plow without any trouble. I wouldn't think a drill would be any harder. Drill has rubber tires.

Larry

M Nut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We plant all our oats and hay crops with a 12ft grain drill pulled with an Allis Chalmers D-14. It is no load for the 32hp tractor at all.

rufus80
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You'll have no problem pulling it. I once pulled our IH 510 18 hole grain drill with our JD MT (18hp). For over thirty years my grandfather pulled a IH 510/5100 18 hole with a JD A.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pulled a 16 hole with an 8N for years, even some hills, in no less than second gear.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pulling the drill would not be any problem. Just make sure the drill has mechanical lift on it. THE TO-30 would not work well with a hydraulic lift drill.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pulled a 7x16 drill with an 8N.Worked well,plenty of power.Dad pulled an even bigger one with his 8N when I was a kid.

sd pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should be ok. I pulled a 12 foot Oliver with a 300 Farmall.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have pulled my Oliver 64 drill a coupla times with a B Allis Chalmers. Most of the time I use My Farmall C.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with that drill... I guess if it has the old style small seed box then you'll probably be alright. If it's a more modern drill like the 8300 that can carry 1/2 a ton of seed then I think you'd want to be very carefull on any kind of grade...

Rod

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

amish do it with 4 horsepower!

mazemeister
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i've pulled a 7X21 JD 8200 behind a super C. barely know it's back there. that's level land, firm seedbed.

dmiller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Planted 16 acres last year with a Farmall A and a Van Brunt FB 17 tube single disc.
Worked great.

Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rod;

No I won't be hauling a half ton of seed. More like 30-50 pounds. I can probably plant most of my plots in 3 or 4 passes: cowpeas, oats, wheat, buckwheat, and grain sorghum and millet. If I use a planter, I figure I'll have over $100.00 just in plates. I want a drill, but it's certainly not mandatory.

Larry

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I doubt you'll have a problem if that's as much seed as you're carrying. I'd just be worried with a full box if you had to deal with some steep grades.

Rod

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: HP to Pull a 17-Hole Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With that much only it will not feed out unless you have someone riding on the drill to keep the feeds full. At that size you need a full bushel left in the box after you are done planting and then it would be close to having some of the feeds running empty. And I wonder if that is the correct model as have never heard of that, FB yes is a common model but the letter on the front throws a person off as to what it is.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.