Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planting corn next Spring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wrapping up my plans to put in one small field of corn in the Spring. Been doing hay for about 12 years now and thought I would try something different. I have an assortment of good tractors up to 160 hp. I have an IH Cyclo 800 eight row planter with dry fertilizer, a smallish 20' boom sprayer, and a ten foot disk and cultipacker. Still looking for a plow of some sort to do initial tillage, was thinking of a 5-6 bottom on land moldboard plow but am open to suggestions. Do I have all the bases covered for the Spring planting or did I miss something? Having never done corn on this scale before I would appreciate any and all input. This "test" field is only about ten acres but I have larger available for the future if this goes well. If I am all set for planting I will move toward planning for harvest. Thanks!

casecollectorsc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now all you need is a sack full of money and you're good to go!!

James22

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need at least roughly 7-16/112 inches or equivalent to achieve inline plow draft with an on-land plow. So 6-20 or 120 inches is good and 6-18 OK, anything smaller not so good.

kris Jensen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe you are on track. Whatever plow you and your tractor would be comfortable with. Way back when, we used to do 40 acres with a two furrow plow and an 8 ft disk. That was way back. Plow, disk and seed. etc. good luck

Aaron SEIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hit the hay with a good shot of Roundup this fall and no-till into it this spring. May want to add a coulter to the planter, but there is no better row unit for no-till than the IH 800 and newer unit.
AaronSEIA

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm with Aaron. Kill it back with roundup now,, test it and fertilize to test, lime it if necessary. Burn it off with Gramoxone in the spring mixed with Lumax ( or something for long season weed control, add a set of no-till coulters to the planter and plant as early as safe in the spring. Leave them moldyboards setting in the bushes.

David1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around here if you were to plow it and disc it, no round up and no GMO seed. You would get more money for your corn. LOts of people looking for non GMO grains. Does not have to be organic, just non GMO. Of course organic is in high demand also and sells for a lot more money than non GMO.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I already have that or I wouldn't be playing at farming all summer!

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was looking for a 7-16. Pretty sure I can pull that in my soil with the larger tractor, duals, and the loaded tires and weights. Of course if I can't...(go to plan B)

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I break even on the operating costs I will be happy for a first whack at it. I already have the equipment from haying and the hay has paid it off three times over. I own the land and the tenant on the other fields pays for the taxes, insurance and such with his rent. Shouldn't take too much of a bath!

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should of mentioned, I am not killing off my hay fields. That would be like eating the goose that layed the golden egg. With all this cool wet weather I have been taking as much as FIVE TIMES the normal bale count for second cutting and, frankly, have been doing better with hay than I ever expected. I took the new corn field over from my tenant. The last three years were wheat, soy, wheat. I have volunteer wheat on the field and a lot of crabgrass, foxtail.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We call that "taking all the fun out of it"! I'll look into setting her up for no till BUT, that is going to lead to a lot more questions on my part because I am a plow, disk, and plant kind of guy. Don't know nothin about no till.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what I can see around here, if you don't spray your corn you have a hard time seeing it come August thru all the weeds. What do you do, run a cultivator down the rows and hill it up like we do in the sweet corn patch...only on a larger scale?

Aaron SEIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You put down something like Harness Extra ahead of the planter and come back with a cleanup application depending on what comes up from there. Dad has been no-tilling for better than 25 years and probably hasn't hooked to a cultivator at all in 15. There are a lot of good total control weed programs for corn that work very well. That said, I like recreational tillage as much as anybody.
AaronSEIA

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Planting corn next Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Neither did I when I started no-tilling around 1975, and we didn't have the chemicals we have today. But it's a lot less work, fuel and steel to no-til. Less erosion, fewer weeds, and about the same cost. But the time savings is where it really pays off. You can cover a lot more ground more quickly by cutting out those two heavy tillage steps.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.