Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

30 minute AC B tractor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Mizell
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: 30 minute AC B tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any advice about a AC "B" that runs for 30-40 minutes of belly mowing then starts cutting out (surging) then dies. I replace the mag with a distributor the replaced coil (12v), points, condenser, rotor button, cap, and plug wires. Wondering if fuel problem. Removed gas cap during cut out but it didn't help. Choking helps a little but doesn't solve. At wits end.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 minute AC B tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you saying the tractor was dieing after 30 minutes with the mag, then you installed the distributor and it still does it ? If that is the case, then i would look at fuel / cap vent / fuel line too close to manifold and vaporizing fuel... when it dies, pull the line off at the carburetor and check flow. If its fuel it will normally restart in 3-4 minutes. If its the coil, it will need to set an hour to cool off. A condenser will do the same thing...... Another option is the valves clearance is too small and when motor heats up, the clearance goes to zero and you loose compression. If you have gas and spark, check the valves.

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 minute AC B tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a classic case of lack of fuel. Check the fuel flow by removing the carburetor drain plug. You should have a steady flow from the bowl for at least 2 minutes. Check for an obstruction if you don't.

dej(Jed)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 30 minute AC B tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

R. Mizell wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:29:40 09/15/13) Any advice about a AC "B" that runs for 30-40 minutes of belly mowing then starts cutting out (surging) then dies. I replace the mag with a distributor the replaced coil (12v), points, condenser, rotor button, cap, and plug wires. Wondering if fuel problem. Removed gas cap during cut out but it didn't help. Choking helps a little but doesn't solve. At wits end.

I had a B that did that years ago. It turned out to be a clogged oil filter that was pressurizing the crankcase.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 30 minute AC B tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one that gets that way now and then. I take the gas line off at the carburetor and blow air back into the tank. With the fuel cap off of course. That lasts for a coupla months. Some day I gotta clean that tank. Did it a coupla weeks back. Nothing to worry about for a few more weeks I guess.(:^D

Jerry Claborn
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 minute AC B tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1949 Allis Chalmers B that did this several years ago. The manifold was leaking. After I replaced the manifold and gasket it stopped stalling out after running 30-40 minutes.

tmiller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 30 minute AC B tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

with the new coil, i would say fuel as well check the elbow screen in carb, the line and clean the bowl.
--Taylor

sandman2234
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: 30 minute AC B tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are several things that could cause this, but typically it sounds like a fuel restriction problem, all but the 30 minute part. Thirty minutes is quite a long time for a fuel restriction especially if it shows up almost every-time you drive it, at about that same time frame. I think I would fill the tank completely and see if that changes the 30 minute time frame any. That will increase pressure on the fuel line and decrease the air capacity in the tank. If it changes things a little bit, start looking at fuel problems. If there is no change, then I would start looking at spark, but since you have changed the mag out, that should have eliminated that, unless you inadvertently used some part that is faulty. Capacitor next? , then on to the changing out of the coil with a known good one to verify that. Valve adjustment would be last resort, unless you have recently messed with that, then that priority goes way up.
Good luck with it,
David from jax

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.