Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hay

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How goes your hay sales this year? What kind of quality hay did you get to put up?

Charlie M
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I grow mostly timothy-mixed grass hay and sell it to local horse people. Best hay like that around here should be done by July 4 - finished up the 3rd weekend in August.Most horse people around here just want dry and no mold. They don't buy it for the nutrition so baling late isn't a big deal for sales. Kills any chance for a 2nd cutting. I got about the same yield as years.It sure seems like its getting harder and harder to find weather for good hay.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just did another 5.5 big rounds Sunday and have them sold or think I do but till the money is in my pocket will not say it is sold. Did close to 200 small squares the week before and have them in the barn. The early hay was pretty good and got my normal of around 40-50 rounds. I still have one filed to cut and bale and the guy who wants the 5 wants up to 10 so may have that all sold. 2nd cutting is not real good it is thin. To much rain in early Aug then drought the next 4 weeks after made things grow poorly. Yep funny to say flood in Aug but by the first week of Sept in a drought again but true.

hayray
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had lots of rain and so a lot of my hay got rained on and quality went low so I round baled tons more then I wanted to. I won't have enough square bale to fill all of my orders. Next week looks like it is opening up and I can finish my last cuts. On the plus side yields have been good and prices have been at an all time high. This is the first time in my life that hay has been a sellers market and I am opportunistic that I will be able to sell some rounds this winter.

Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well as far as yield goes my hay has been great, but the early rain kept me from getting it baled early and that just killed my food value, but as hay goes its still good, the protein is 12% but it got stemmy..

Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Worst year I ever had with hay. Threw out and gave away 3/4 of my first cut due to mold...got 5 days of rain on it.
The second cut was starved for water and was puny, like last year. I'm in the market for about 150 sm squares right now.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty much ran into everything, never had a year like this.

Still have 2 acres of first cutting grass hay to do in the swamp, and looking at trying a 4th cutting of alfalfa on the accidental alfalfa field. Was way too wet and cold early, and way too dry of late, not got .6 of rain and a cool speed.

The hay doesn't know what to do.

My accidental alfalfa field - it was very dry early on this late winter and there was a whole lot of winterkill in the area, I had a couple acres of plow down alfalfa/clover, thought well mow a cutting off it and then plant corn, might need the hay. So planted up to it, but then it was so cool it didnt grow fast. Then the rains came, and this was low ground, so sat and waited, rain after rain.

Plans changed as time went by, mow a cutting off it and plant beans?

Well, the rains turned to endless small showers, I got my beans planted, it was so cool and dampish couldn't mow any hay....

Plans changed to just leave the weedy mess with some alfalfa as a poor alfalfa field for the year, chalk up another learning experience in farming.......

Paul

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya here in Missouri this spring/summer has been a very odd weather year. To wet and cool early then hot and dry then flood then drought. Now in the last 2 days we have gotten around 1.5 inches of much needed rain. Much of my garden did not do well due to the fact it was to cool and to wet or to hot and to dry. Shoot if is Sept. and my sweet pepper plants are just now setting fruit on

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To bad your to far from me. I still have one field to cut and bale and from the looks of it, that field will produce pretty good but till I cut it I can only guess since I have not tried walking it and the seed ticks are super bad right now so no way I am going to walk it

ben70b
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can point you in the right direction down here if you are having trouble finding hay up there larry

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did really well on grass and alfalfa. Using the latest in apps for weather and rain radar I was able to get my first cut in earlier than anyone else around by a week. And no rain They waited and got rain. Then it was deja vue for the second cut. Mine was up and gone neighbors later and got rained on. And they have been farmin 60 years, I'm the new guy been doing it 10 years. But I use all the latest tech aids, they do it hoe their fathers did it.

Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where you at Ben?

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been real tough for dry hay here this year. Had absolutely gorgeous Timothy and Orchard grass stands that I just couldn't touch because of constant rain. I'm still working on 1st cut. The good news is that the weather is better, the quality of the hay sis pretty fair. Bad news is quantity isn't what I'd like. We feed mostly rounds and try to put in 1k-1200 of squares. I'm hoping I can get 2nd cut for my squares.

The weather has been compounded by breakdowns and the fact I'm a one man show with old, small and slow equipment. But, my overhead is pretty low too, so it works out.

ben70b
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

about ten miles south of I-80 and about ten miles west of I-39. we have a few round bales left, grass with a little red clover and the guys down the road have hay and straw of all types and sizes for sale. hell I may have a few more items you and your corn pickin buddies may be interested in.

Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hasn't this just been the year from He11? I am still fighting this pneumonia, they said it could be many months before I am back to normal...compound that with all the weather swings this year and it turns into a real b!tch..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.