Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rusted Spin Out locks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BruceNWMN
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Rusted Spin Out locks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My rim on my WD had to be replaced. I had no luck in trying to loosen the rusted spin out locks. I had to unbolt them from center hub. Does someone know what I can do to loosen them so I can put the wheel back together? I have had them soaking in ATF for a week.

jerry4

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted Spin Out locks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

flame wrench

Ted in NE-OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted Spin Out locks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the snap ring off of the inside of the pin and pound the pin out. An impact wrench forward and then reverse, back and forth with lots of lube, sometimes works. If that does not work apply lots of HEAT.

stu (ON)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted Spin Out locks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The kit.

[img] [/img]

DiyDave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted Spin Out locks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forget the wrenches, for a while, heat to 250 F and melt beeswax into the front and back of the shaft, and similarly the middle where the shaft goes through the casting. There are no threads, the shaft has a cam to tighten against the wheel. Lightly hammer, in and out on the shaft, when you see it moving in and out, then add your favorite penetrating oil, and put an impact on the wrench surface, left and right, alternately. once it moves free, hammer it tight toward the back, and pop off the snap ring, then hammer the pin out the front, and lube up with neversieze. On to the next one. About 4 hours per wheel, if you pull one off at a time. Finally don't lose/ forget the rail followers, and they like a coat of neversieze, on both sides, too!

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted Spin Out locks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bolt them back on the wheel center. Get a helper to hold an H-D punch on the eccentric, I use a 4 lb hammer. It is important that whatever you use is held square to the head. Then hit it twice with an 8LB sledge, once to check your aim and the next time like your trying to break it. Now take a breaker bar and good socket and turn the eccentric back and forth while you sqirt something on it to flush the rust out.

Ted J
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted Spin Out locks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on how bad they are. I had to throw some of mine away they were rusted so bad that there was NO saving them. They had layers of rusted metal. I should have taken pics. I was using a 1200 lb air wrench and it wouldn"t work on some of them.

Ted J
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted Spin Out locks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By the way, it is ATF and Acetone, a 50-50 mix. Normally ATF/Acetone or the heat/wax will work. But like I said, only works on ones that aren't tooooo bad, like mine were.

Cam50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted Spin Out locks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I threw mine into the wood stove for 2 hours then used the impact back and forth. A little oil and just like new. (almost)

BruceNWMN
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted Spin Out locks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Ted pounding the pins worked fine.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.