Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Propane tank

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted in NE-OH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone buy their own propane tank? Any pros or cons?

centralilbaler
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I own my own tank. Pro: you can shop around for gas. So far i've good luck with my current supplier taking care of all the maintenance.

504-1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Own mine, at least .10 a gal cheaper this way. I think this year it will be closer to .50 cheaper to own.

BIG RUH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have owned propane tanks at 2 different houses for a total of 35 years. You need to keep the paper work that you own the tank as some suppliers won't fill it unless you can prove you own it. There's a law about filling someone else's tank without permission

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ted, Have always owned my own LP tanks. You are not locked to one supplier you are Free to shop around and get the best price, service are what have-you.
And if you need to service the Head unit, Like put in new seals you are still free to shop around to get the best price on repair work too! Only way to go!
Later,
John A.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just about everybody with a BBQ bought one. LoL

big jt
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some of it depends on where you are.

In my part of the world (NW Iowa) I have never been asked for paperwork. Course I think I only changed supplier once. I think most suppliers will likely need to do a leak test before they fill but they do this free, so it is no biggy.

The only thing that suppliers balk about here is 100 lb cylinders. Nobody here will fill them no matter if they are new or not.

hth

jt

Wile E
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought my own tank 4 years ago.
500 gallon, brand new, $1,100.
It is nice to be able to buy propane from other dealers, but.....You also have to prove that you own the tank and any new supplier of propane will pressure check your lines. This is a CYA on their end.
Over all I save 8 to 10 cents per gallon on fuel. In the long run it pays for itself. I likely saved $150 per year owning my own tank.
Now here is the kicker. I just got Natural gas installed. They ran it down the road over the summer and I just got it hooked up 2 weeks ago. But....I am still waiting on the all the stuff Thermostat, orfice, etc. to convert the water heater over to Natural gas.
So, as of now I have Natural gas for the main furnace and propane for the water heater.
After I get the water heater hooked over to natural gas then I will sell the propane tank, I should be able to get $600 for it.

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you live anywhere near me I might be interested in your tank. And I can convert your water heater.

Dusty

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The pressure test is NOT a law or insurance requirement. They just try to get you to agree to it so they can charge you or lock you in to one supplier.

Had one propane supplier out here try that a few years ago. HE went out of business in about two years. Few where buying his propane.

As far as owning your own tanks. I own all my fuel tanks, diesel, gas, and propane. You will save enough in being able to shop around to pay for the tank shortly.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought my 500 gallon tank new for $800-something. I'm in a rural area of NY. I get the lowest rate this way as long as it gets filled on an ad-hoc basis. Maybe twice a year.

Only slight problem is - I was thinking of changing gas companies and some of the big ones (Amerigas) said they would not fill it unless I could show proof of ownership. Well duh . . . it's on my property and I do NOT have a "title" for it like I do for cars and trucks. After buying a tank and having it for a few years - I'm not sure how someone is supposed to show proof unless the receipt has been saved.

I wonder how a person would react if he/she went t the local gas station to fill up a car and they refused to sell unless you showed proof you owned the car?

Wile E
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What city do you live in?

greygoat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Proof of ownership: Didn't you get, and keep,
a receipt, when you purchased the tank ?

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I did get a receipt, just like I get for just about anything else I buy new. But I don't save receipts for every item I've bought in my life, for my entire life. If I did, I'd have papers piled up past the roof of my house. I've got over a 100 tractors here and I bet I don't have a receipt laying around for any of them.

When I go hunting - even though many of my guns were bought new - I am sure I would not be able to find a "receipt" for any of them.

In regard to the tank - I bought from a guy I've known for years and he was my gas-delivery guy. I bought the tank four years ago and at that time - never imagined I'd be asked someday to show "proof of ownership." Other then that - I can't imagine any reason for keeping the d*mn paperwork. It's not like it's got a warrrantee. It IS on my property and has nobody's company name on it.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Propane tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought an old used 125 gal tank from a farmer who had it on a combine. He wrote me out a receipt from one of those generic receipt books.
Supplier didn't seem to care as long as I had a receipt.

Go get a friend to write you out one if you ever need one.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters