Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

44 special trans (long)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael V (NM)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: 44 special trans (long) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

transmission sticks or hangs in 5th gear, so I take the shifter off, find the top(main) shaft bearings are really bad. ok, gets new brgs, seal w/sleeve, went back together good, main shaft now like new, checked pinion (lower),its still in good shape, now its hung in 5th gear again. whats happening? do I gots a problem with 5th gear overshifting ie going to far in gear? the snap ring groove on the shifter rail goes beyond the front of the guide where the detent /interlock is on front of the trans, do I need to put a snap ring on the shifter rail to prevent this?
more problems...I filled the trans/final drive with oil before I found this out...well now found out the axle seals leak really bad. new ones on the way from Kessels...thanks for any help

Bruce Colbourne
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 special trans (long) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes you have to put the snap ring on the rail.With out it the rail will move to far.Also make sure your fork is tight on the shift rail.There is a felt wiper seal in the axle seal cap.There is a grease nipple on the cap which puts grease between the felt seal and the main oil seal.Make sure that your grease it after you put your new seals in.The grease helps keep the dirt away from your main axle seal.

Michael V (NM)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 44 special trans (long) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks Bruce, gonna hafta to find some snap rings, there are none on this tractor or the parts tractor that I have,
I ordered the seal kit from Kessels, it includes the felt, also get to do the brake seals, prolly reline brakes while I got it apart...oh what fun.

Bruce Colbourne
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 44 special trans (long) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are going to change the seals on the back side of your brakes you will have to drain the rear end.The seals you will be changing are your on the differential side gear and master pinion.You can change them with out taking the pinion out.The 44 special had three different brake options.If the tractor has the live power take off system it will have disc brakes.You could also have the full band type or the double shoe type.If you have the brakes with the two shoes make sure you put the return springs back in the original positions.If you do-not the brakes will not function properly.What will happen when you apply the brakes it will pull tractor sideways.One way or the other.I made that mistake on the first one I put together.In regards to the snap rings for the shift rails your local napa dealer or any farm implement dealer should be able to set you up with some snap rings.Take the measurements of the grove on the shift rail.My manual shows the snap rings but it does not give the dimensions.Hope this is helpful to you.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.