Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cotter pin at bottom of transmission

View previous topic :: View next topic  
garymck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: cotter pin at bottom of transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cotter pin has been missing for a number of years but the drain hole is open and leaks to some extent. Without splitting the tractor (MF35), has anyone figured out how to install something to take the cotter pin"s place?

Inno
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: cotter pin at bottom of transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cotter pin is really only there to keep the weep hole from getting plugged up with dirt/mud etc. It is meant to rotate when driving through long grass etc. The purpose of the hole is to allow any fluid that does leak a way out so as not to get the clutch (and starter in my case) full of gear oil. If you have a small leak from there I am told this is normal. Anything more than a few drops and I'd say you might want to consider further investigation.
Now, without you saying what model your tractor is, I can't say for sure that the next piece of information will be valid. From what I know of my TO35 it's possible that you may be able to remove the inspection plate and fit a new cotter pin in the weep hole from inside, without having to split.

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: cotter pin at bottom of transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that cotter key is your best friend.

most all of these old tractor weep some oil,

I keep the oil level in my tractor TO-35 at the mid level on the dipstick with the lift arms in the down position.

I got my tractor stuck one time and the weep hole got filled with mud and I did not drive in any grass for some time.

the oil ran into the sump and after a while got on my clutch, that was a costly mess.

word to the wise: find a way to get that up side down cotter key back into the sump weep hole.

also check it each time you fuel the tractor and be sure it turns and the hole is not plugged.

FBH44
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: cotter pin at bottom of transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on how big that hole is, but you could make something like a MOly-Bolt, where the wings fold out once it's inside the hole. Make some thing out of wire, so there are two wire arms sorta that unfold once it's inside the hole. Experiment on a hole in a piece of cardboard first to get it right.

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: cotter pin at bottom of transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am in the process of changing the hyd/trans oil in
my to-35.
I noticed the up side down cotter key was missing,
so I will be trying your method to re -insert the
new cotter key.

Sure hope it works,

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.