Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sharpening mower guards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NHbalerman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: sharpening mower guards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anybody sharpen their mower guards? I sharpened mine today on one of the NH 488 and will see if it helps any,what do you use? My 4 inch grinder want go in there to good so I tried the die grinder with a round stone and it did fairly good took awhile to do it also took them off to sharpen,just wondering if anybody knows a easier way to do it.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: sharpening mower guards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ve did it to the guards on my 488. I think it helps quite a bit especially with some of the aftermarket guards out there now. I used a small 90 degree air grinder with 24 grit roloc discs.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: sharpening mower guards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I assume you are meaning squaring the edges back after they have become rounded???? I used to do it on sickle mower/conditioners with a full size 10 angle grinder. It does help the guard cut better.

SadFarmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: sharpening mower guards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always start the season by making sure the guards (often called fingers in Australia) are shiny and the points fairly sharp. If the ledger plates look worn I replace them. If well maintained guards should last a very long time. I've never used after market guards, though have some on the shelf. The finish on them leaves a great deal to be desired. Usually the register, correct adjustment of the sections against the ledger plates and the edge on the sections counts for more than the sharpness of the guard points. My mower has a clover divider, which fits the outer shoe and is meant to help stop the end guard from choking - possibly one of the most useless attachments IHC ever manufactured.
SadFarmall

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: sharpening mower guards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it might help you get by but if they are rounded off alot then they are worn out and need replacing, if at looking at them from the side they are not straight and flat then they are shot

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: sharpening mower guards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was referring to sharpening the points of the guards. NH haybine guards don't have ledger plates so if they get rounded I just replace them, but I no longer have a NH dealer close by so I have to deal with aftermarket guards and I have bought lots of those that do not have a good point on them and I have had grass wad up on them because they didn't have a good point to them.

BobH in NH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: sharpening mower guards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 477 has stub guards put on by previous owner and in the 8 or so years I have owned it, have never had a clog or issue with hay and undergrowth buildup. However, I mowed today with a friend's 478 which has regular guards and spent almost as much time clearing the clogs and build-ups as I did mowing. And the guards were all in excellent shape with sharp points.

SadFarmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: sharpening mower guards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just had a good look at some of the aftermarket guards on my shelf. Quite right, they would need sharpening - they are not well finished at the factory.
SadFarmall

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.