Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Auction ??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sell @ Auctions

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not trying to start a fuss, just asking a question.
If it was your stuff that was selling at auction, and it was bring high prices, or more than new, would it bother you ?
Understand I'm just asking.
It never bothers me if someone wants to pay more than I'm willing to pay.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would not bother me, just figuring the buyers were being generous.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A little.But no one forced them (the 'winner') to bid.And then I would "laugh all the way to the bank"!Several years ago,I sold an old worn out 3 sec rotary hoe.Had only paid $5.00 for it and used it for several years.Had just purchased (at a farm sale)a like new John Deere hoe for $100.00.So, the old junker went to the consignment sale.It brought $325.00!!That bothered me a little,Kinda felt like a thief.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh h3ll no! I took some stuff one day that brought three times what I thought it would. Couldn't have sand blasted the smile off my face the rest of the day. That check cashed real nice!

Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sure wouldn't bother me either, seen it many times...some fella who never checked prices before he went and bid darn near new price for something well used!

Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It wouldn't bother me. I won a Browning 20 gauge pump shotgun at a Ruffed Grouse banquet about 25 years ago. Couldn't hit much--I only shot one round of trap--so I consigned it last fall. Got $575.00. On the flip-side, I consigned a two-dog Tracker collar system that was barely used. I expected a couple hundred. Went for 70. Sure felt bad about that, especially after I learned I could have traded-in that system on a GPS system. Pendulum swings both ways.

Larry

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you send something to auction, you're letting the buyer(s) decide what it's worth. You can be lucky, or you can get burned.

BIG RUH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No one was forcing them to bid.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well known local auctioneer here in Ohio has a funny line he uses once in awhile when trying to get something bid up more that has slowed down.
"Go on keep bidding we'll stop you if it's too much"

Another one is "I checked with your wife/spouse she said it ok"

OH - 961
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many times at farm auctions, I have seen junky acetylene torches sell for much more than it would cost to go buy a new set.

Myron

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wouldn't bother me any. It would just be making up for the stuff that went the other way.

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It wouldn't bother me. But I don't like straw bidders bidding stuff higher, and I don't care for wasting time going to an auction a hundred miles away and having reserve prices set on things that are too high. Used machinery has no warranty and is sold as is, wear and tear included.

GeneMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not in the least. Why? No one is holding a gun to their head making them raise there hand is there?

Gene

gtractorfan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently heard an auctioneer use that line "I'll tell you when it's too high". He soon sold something that went WAY too high, I told the guy next to me "he didn't tell 'em when it was too high".

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guys, So what is the Problem? Auctions are, what they are! A place where a particular items is for sale at public Bid, Last bid wins. You better Know Your Top bid price before You get there. Unless it is an Item that usually fluctuates a lot from place to place depending on what it is or something else. Step up to the Plate, Bid Like a demon, You may Brow Beat one or two bidders out and Stop at your top Money!!. Oh Yea LEARN and Understand the Auctioneers cadence so you do not look an Moron!
Later,
John A.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters