Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1954 fofd naa tractor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronnie wheat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Already on here as 1954 jubilee. New thing need some advise. Tractor quits like running out of fuel. have been through (all) from mouth to butt. was close to tractor today when it started dying, ran over and seen fire running down all 4 plugs to head. not normal in my book. when it does this after 10 min. of running you cannot bring it back had operator pull choke out, didn't phase it, also the next time had him to push throttle to idle, hoping it would pick back up no good. will start back maybe run for 2 to 5 min before dying again.

Texas!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you mean by "seen fire running down all 4 plugs to head"?
If by some chance you mean that you saw the spark arcing from the wires or plugs to the head then you have seen your problem. You need new spark plug wires and boots.

ronnie wheat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YES sparks were running down the plug to head . also noticed you can ground screw driver hold close to plug boot and it will ark. THESE wires are new. but knowing this guy the cheapest you can buy, also cut to length home made.

ronnie wheat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HEY TEXAS, current travels to least resistance, plug is already grounded, what would make it travel on the out side of plug.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh so plug wires from the land of almost right yep poor made parts cause odd problems

ronnie wheat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OLD, what do you suggest, does Belden make a set of wires for the old dude.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I buy my wires from an O'Reilly's auto part store. Yes you have to cut them and all since you want true copper wire plug wires but by doing so you have a good warranty

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HOW do you figure it runs, then the spark magically begins to dance down the plug insulators, and then it DIES, only to restart later?????

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:29:17 09/27/13) HOW do you figure it runs, then the spark magically begins to dance down the plug insulators, and then it DIES, only to restart later?????

As someone already posted in the other thread, plugs can be fouled in such a way that they work OK, but not great, when cold, but after they heat up they won't allow a spark through, and so the electricity finds another path to ground.

Texas!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cheap insulation.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How old are the spark plugs??? Could be but if doing it on all 4 not likely but cracked plugs so when warm the crack opens up and then you have that type of spark problem

Mark Slater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I finally found your new post.

What "OLD" says makes sense. Cracked plugs will do what you describe, too. But again I don't get why it shows mostly on slope and why all four at once?

As you know, the spark will always follow the path of least resistance. If it is easier for the spark to come out the crack and along the plug, than jumping the spark gap inside the chamber, that's where it will go. For HV sparks it is much easier to run across dirty surfaces than to jump across the air/fuel mix in that spark gap. That's why when doing a tune up I always make sure my dust boots are still whole (no missing chunks or cracks) and pushed on as best I can. I even like to use a little silicone "dielectric" grease on the inside to help make the boots seal well and helps keep them from cracking.

Keep us updated.

ronnie wheat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BOB, thanks for input, been around for 65 years, thought I had seen it all, this one has blown my mind. when this happens! like a distributor cap has cracked and the fire is jumping all over the cap. but new cap. and the fire is going down all 4 plugs, it spits, farts, misses, then it dies. will start up and run fine till a little strain goes on engine. Wasn't around tractor today, but going to replace plugs and wires. i'm too stubborn to give up, but don't know how much money this guy will give up.

ronnie wheat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for input, still working on it, plugs and wires are next. Didn't get to do any thing today. I'm gathering all the advice I can get. I'm beginning to feel like a fool, already replaced everything else. And the wires are new. BUT CHEAP.

ronnie wheat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 fofd naa tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OLD, the plugs are probably shot, I even took each plug out, grounded watched the fire found two with yellow weak fire, replaced with used plugs that fired to my specks. going to replace all, and wires.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.