Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to do with my 400?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: What to do with my 400? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We are moving and I don't have the time, space, tools or money to work on my '56 400 gasser right now. Should I move it and let it sit until I do or should I sell it?
The good and the bad.
Straight tin, needs paint.
Wide front
Power Steering
T/A is out
Tires hold air but are pretty cracked
Fast hitch
It is getting water in the oil, not sure if it's the head gasket, cracked head or cracked block.
I welcome your thoughts.
BTW, I live near Sacramento if anyone is interested. I'll post pictures later.

Phil Tibbetts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with my 400? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Doesn't sound to me like it is worth moving.

IH fan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with my 400? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IMO, it would depend on how far you have to move it and if you have room to store it after you move. As far as value, probably isn't worth all that much as it sits and until you find the real problem with water in the oil. If it turned out to be just a head gasket and you found out after selling it, I think you would have "sellers remorse". Where would you find another one like it and how much would it cost?
Since you are "Brian in MN" are you thinking of moving it from MN to CA?

Last edited by IH fan on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Dean Olson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with my 400? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would part out the good components and keep those. Specifically
the fast hitch, wide front, power steering, tin etc. Sell and scrap the rest.

The tires and engine work will cost far more than you could buy
another tractor for.

400's are a relatively easy tractor to find in better shape.

Brian in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with my 400? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

She started in MN and I moved her to CA. This move is only about 30 miles down the road. I agree that parting out is probably the best thing to do in the long run. I just don't want it to go to scrap.

rankrank1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with my 400? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only 30 miles. Heck I would move it then as long as you have a place for it to set. Not like it is going to get any worse setting - you can always part out later after you fully investigate the problems. After some investigation then your decision is not so rash and you are fully informed and will never have regrets. Plus you have already made the hard expensive haul from MN to CA. Sure would be a shame for long haul to now be for nothing.

Even if you lack a hauling trailer and want to spare the expense of renting a trailer: Put a chain through a piece of pipe and tow it (poor man's tow bar). Keep speeds around 12 mph or less. (Note: one person still needs to be on the tractor though as well as one person in the tow vehicle. Any pick up truck will easily serve as a tow vehicle)

Last edited by rankrank1 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:50 pm; edited 4 times in total
billyar
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with my 400? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you sure it is from cooling system we had a 400 water in the oil. Pulled the head no problems. Put new gasket on good for 3mo"s then water in oil. The water was clear found it was running down around the exhaust pipe into manifold into the pan. parked under shed after that, used it 15 more years.

Brian in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with my 400? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

billyar, I don't know for sure where the water is coming from. It has been sitting outside, it has a rain cap and I usually remember to put a coffee can on as well.

I have decided to move it, got it loaded on the trailer. I'll work on it when I get time.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.