Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VAC Governor Oil Supply

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HankOH
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: VAC Governor Oil Supply Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need some help - I have a '44 VAC that sometimes runs erratically. I suspect a problem with the governor, so we opened it up and found the (earlier flyball type) governor had worn parts and was dry. It appears to not have been receiving oil. I believe oil is supposed to be supplied through the camshaft and then through a hole in the camshaft gear (apparently via a hole in the thrust plate as the shaft rotates?). The gear has only a partial hole in it (not drilled all the way through). Am I missing something? Is the partial hole in the gear in pic supposed to go through the gear to receive oil? We suspect someone was in this before, noting the damage to the end of the camshaft (some broken threads) so perhaps this is not a correct gear??

Thanks for help.

Dale in Nw wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VAC Governor Oil Supply Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Me thinks that part of the problem might be that you have sludge pluging that oil passages by the looks of the pictures. I run Rotella in mine and is very clean.

1031D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VAC Governor Oil Supply Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The oil comes up through the first main bearing and through the front cam bearing into a groove on the cam journal and eventually out the end of the camshaft. The hole in the gear lubes the governor. The erratic running is from the crappy design of the flyball governor. The races wear and pit, the balls rust and pit, and everything generally where's out. I would find a later style governor from a newer VAC through 530 and use that. The flyweight governors are much more responsive. Only problem is you have to switch the gear which means removing the front cover.

HankOH
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: VAC Governor Oil Supply Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply; I am aware of the later design and had already been looking for that. Your reply stated "the hole in the gear lubes the governor", which is what I thought, but as my post stated, there is no hole in this gear - it just goes about a 1/4 into the gear and is not drilled all the way through. I wanted to know if this partial hole I see in my gear is supposed to be completely through the gear, or is there a smaller hole somewhere I am not yet seeing?

Thanks again.

1031D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: VAC Governor Oil Supply Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shallow whole you are looking at is probably for the governor nut lock tab.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.