Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Sparkle question

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfullmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking at a drill press motor that can run on 110 or 220 ,would the power output be the same??

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes. The higher voltage just allows a smaller wire size to be used.

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The power output can be the same but the 220 will use less watts to give you that,so it would be cheaper in the long run if you have a plug wired for use of it.

Bus Driver
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The motor will use lower amperes on the higher voltage but the wattage will be the same on either voltage. . A watt and horsepower are units of the same measurement (power) but of different size.

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike Groom wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:16:14 10/04/13) The power output can be the same but the 220 will use less watts to give you that,so it would be cheaper in the long run if you have a plug wired for use of it.

I believe you mean; operating on 220 will use less amps than for 120. Watts = Volts x Amps and since the amps are reduced by approximately half the watts remains the same. To be completely correct: yes, the watts are reduced slightly since the reduced amps produces less heat in the windings.

Respectfully,

Ken

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When the volts go up the amps go down. Double the volts the amps will be one half. If amps are 10 at 120 volts, then the amps will be 5 at 240 volts. 10 x 120 = 1200 watts, 5 x 240 = 1200 watts.
Volts times amps = watts. So watts stay the same, no matter the volts.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with my friend the Dusty man and the other sparkies. The motors what you call "power output" is the same if used at 120 versus 240 volts since P = E x I and when the voltage doubles the amps is halved. 120 volts x 10 amps = 1200 watts or 240 volts x 5 amps still = 1200 watts.

HOWEVER if I had my druthers, I'd run it at the higher voltage.

GENERALLY SPEAKING There are wasted I Squared R heat energy losses in resistive conductors (even copper wire has some resistance),,,,,,,,, anytime you can reduce voltage drop across a feeder line that's a also a good thing,,,,,,,,,,,,hey copper is expensive and anytime you can save on wire costs I'm all for it.

John T

Dr. Walt
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Then theoretically if you need a 1200 watt motor to
run, you could increase your voltage to 1200 volts
and not have any amperage - don't see how that could
work????????????????????????????????????????????????

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HP is the same 110 to 220 but torque power is not and the higher voltage is far better for it and will in the long run save you a tad bit. Have run many things both ways and 220 always seems to handle a heavy load better then 110 does but that is a factor of torque

Paul Janke
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It would draw one amp. 12,000 volts would make it one tenth amp.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No. It makes no difference if wired properly.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mornin Rich, hows things your way, I'm in Austin Texas for a month in the RV and its HOTTTTTTTTT down here lol

HP is a function of Torque X RPM. On a dual voltage motor the HP is basically the same on EITHER Voltage and the RPM is the same. With the RPM and the HP the same, it follows the Torque will also be the SAME.

HOWEVER the experience you describe "might" be described to some extent (depends on size of wire and length of wire runs etc etc) due to the fact at initial start up when the starting amps may be as high as 4 to 6 times as the running amps, if you're wired at the higher 240 voltage, there could be less comparative voltage drop in the branch circuit and "perhaps" some improved performance!!

Soooooooo in my professional engineers "opinion" Id say the RPM and Torque and HP (Torque x RPM) would be the same at either voltage (Once up n running) but depending on the branch supply circuit and wire sizes and length etc etc it may be possible the starting characteristics could vary slightly MAYBE THATS WHAT YOU EXPERIENCED?????

Take care Rich

John T

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the low voltage mode there are more amps. More amps = more heat. Heat doesn't produce torque. So a motor is more efficient at the higher voltage.

Jarhead Two

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

P = I x E

P is watts

I is current

E is voltage

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sparkle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One would think that but I have found over the years torque and HP do not go hand in hand on many things. Like compare an old Oliver S88 with that 6 cylinder to a Farmall 450 both are rated at 55HP but the Oliver will pull circles around the Farmall due to the 6 cylinder producing more torque power

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters