Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

massey harris 44 special { narrow front end}

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Bular
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello, I'm looking for a Massey Harris 44 special with a narrow front end. Gas or diesel? witch ever has the same power as a supper M.
Power steering, 3pt hitch, live pto, and live hydraulics. Are these avable on a 44? And this tractor needs to be a fixer-upper. Need a new project and that keeps the cost down. Thanks for any information you can give me. Tony

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everyone is looking for that tractor apparently as I have people all the time that want an old
'fixerupper' with 3pt,LPTO,hydraulics etc etc at a cheap price.I'm looking too BTW.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow, what a coincidence. So am I!

Tony Bular
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

is the 44 about the power as the supper M?

old popper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look in the photo ads. MH 44 special diesel located in wisconsin, been sitting 15 yrs. (sounds like just what the Dr ordered)

2badlybent
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eveybody is looking for a bargin. A guy stopped at my place yesterday looking for a tractor with a loader. I asked him how much he was going to spend and he said up to $5000. Oh, Yes he would like it to be a diesel with four wheel drive and between 45 and 50 HP.

Kenneth R Ohnstad
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does supper rhyme with upper?
Or does Super rhyme with yooper?
good luck
Kenny

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey,I've got a 1020 Deere that fits that description. Cheap to a good home.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like an M to eat.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its a gas most want a diesel today. rrlund your JD 1020 with a loader will not sell for much more than a Ford 800-900. I know it has a lot more features but the market does not reflect that.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are picking a tractor that is hard to find parts for. A "super" M is a lot easier to find and get parts for.

Any particular reason?

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I have never seen a MH 44 with a factory three point hitch. Maybe they made one but I have not seen one. I think they had Independent PTO. The hydraulics where live. Power steering was an option I believe.

As far as value. A good running one will not sell that well. Rarely breaking $1500-2000.

You have to watch as the parts can be high priced. A friend has several MH he has restored. He complained that the engine gasket set was real high priced on one of them. I can't remember if it was a MH 44 or not but the set was like $300.

It is real easy to get more than any old tractor is worth in repairing a fixer-upper. The MH tractors just are not real collectible as far as high value goes. So the price is not sky high like some are. It takes a rare model to be high priced.

I will not tease you over what your post sounds like. EVERYONE wants a CHEAP tractor with the features you are asking for. Therefore there are not many CHEAP ones with what you are wanting.

SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one. I think the frame and the front tires are the only thing that will not need to be replaced. Has a loader with it and the 3pt lift is there, but it does not have the arms. If I gave it to you, it would cost to much to fix.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's fine. It's going to be a one of a kind painted Oliver green when I get around to it anyway. We'll see how much value the Deere lovers think it has when they start chewing my azz for "ruining it".

rankrank1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 special { narrow front end} Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you pretty much know what you want.

I am no Massey Harris expert but definitely go with the "44 special" over the run of the mill "44". The "44" has the PTO shaft way up high which is extemely hard on equipment PTO shafts. The "44 special" I think (or the 444 for sure) had the PTO shaft moved to a more proper spot on the tractor to comply with SAE connection standards. If you plan to run PTO power then check where that PTO location is on the tractor.

Other than that the only other hurdle might be finding a "44 special" with 3 point hitch already on it. But there are aftermarket companies that make those hitch kits or you can make one yourself if you have a welder and fab skills.

Otherwise, I have heard reports that those MH 44 would outplow the Farmall M, or the MH "44 special" (or 444) would out plow the Farmall Super M and use less fuel doing it too. That said, I do not have first hand experience on either front.

Parts for the MH will not be as common as the Farmall, but parts are out there. Nothing wrong with having something
different than the rest of the masses either.

Last edited by rankrank1 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters