Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Early October Blizzard

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazy WP
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I find it really interesting that the national news is telling all about the tropical depression, that MIGHT hit the east coast, but little to nothing about the thousands of head of livestock that died during the storm last weekend.
My prayers go out to the livestock owners that are devastated by the storm. Lots of calves, still on the cow, that were ready to be sold. These guys receive one payment per year, and their wages are in snow drifts.
Prayers again!!

Old Bob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Farmers are always last for any type of compassion or understanding. Probably the reason is that we know how to take care of ourselves. We don't stand around hunting a hand out.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not to mention expenses they may incur due to trees going down and damaging homes, outbuildings, vehicles, tractors or equipment.

Plus hay or other crops that may be sitting out underneath that snow.

And yes, barely a blip on the news about it.

c-man

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am in the area that has had the terrible cattle deaths. I have heard that there may be up to 100,000 dead cattle. We got extremely lucky and did not lose any. Some producers death numbers are in the hundreds. One rancher had 400 bred heifers. 300 of them ended up dying in a stock dam. Stories like this are very common in western South Dakota after this last storm. Most of the ranchers will just dust themselves off and get back to work though. Not many will probably wait for the government to come and help them out. Most will help themselves and their neighbors and get their lives back to as normal as possible.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First I heard about it too.

I can learn more about what's going on from this site then any news program !

blinwmiaol.com
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess I don't understand how or why they would lose many? What killed the cattle, death by falling debris? We get several storms like this a year here in Michigan and there is no reason to lose cattle from it. It may take longer to get the feed to them but it can't be that hard, we do it almost every year.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

out here we do not have many trees to block/breakup the wind, when a blizzard hits here like the last one the 70 mph winds and up to 30" of snow combine and drive the cattle with the winds they go until they hit some thing be it a fence dam or drop off ect they just pile up on one another and then the snow covers them and they smother to death most times, if you think you can get to them always to feed you have not been in a plans style blizzard you can not see 2' in front of you and we have hills, valleys, drop offs that you have no way of knowing they are there, one second you are in 10" of snow the next it may be a 10' drift and even if you do get to them it is not lack of food that kills them very sad news we were lucky here as the worst of it was east of us 500-100 miles

justanothercase
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also live in the blizzard area. No losses here that we know of. what cnutty said is correct they just start moving the direction of the storm and pile up. also many ranchers here don't want gov. assistance, everytime they get involved everything gets completely f---- up. the gov can give the welfare to the ones that truly need it standing in a line never had a job, only had welfare.sarcasm intended.

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For sure!

I've always said, if you haven't experienced a plains blizzard, ya really don't know what 'winter' is. :>(

Allan

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Allan I would guess you have done the "rope" thing like we have done, tie a rope between buildings so you can find your way? things really do get western here in storms!!

caseyc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was born and raised in eastern WI. Grew up on a dairy farm. I can remember alot of blizzards and hard winters. I moved to SD in 1998. I have a new found respect for blizzards and winter in general. These plains will kill you as help is a long ways away in most cases.

Casey in SD

Nathan (SD)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From the Black Hills east to Eagle Butte sounds like the worst of it. You can see hundreds of carcasses from the road. I had a friend text me pictures from his trip yesterday.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here are some photos from internet.

Incredible amount of snow!

Bob in SD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What Casey and Allan said.

Unruh
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Early October Blizzard Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm in SD, but not in the blizzard area. I just want to say that a grandson in Kansas said, "We drove in a real blizzard on the way home from church." Well, how fast did your Dad drive? "Down to forty miles an hour!" Yah, right, you don't know what a blizzard is!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters