Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bottom plow and disc harrow

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volksman79
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am going to get a 2 bottom plow and disc harrow for my TO30 instead of a tiller. After a bit of research and some great feedback on this site it seems the way to go. I plan on looking for a 14" double bottom plow and I was wondering what size disc harrow works well with this tractor. I have used a Kubota l3300 for almost ten years and switching to the Ferguson is a bit of a change. Not sure what it can handle. Where else can one look for used attachments besides craigslist?

Thanks again

jon corbett
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hmmm,my te pulls 2 btm 12's,my disc is a dearborn 7ft wide double gang 3pt hitch.i'd say 2btm 14 or 16's should'nt be a problem with your tractor.what kind of soil?

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First of all, are your tires loaded? That is going to determine a lot of how much plow you can pull and how big of a disc you can pick up. I have a 2 14" MF #62 plow that I pull with my TO-20 so your 30 will handle a 2 14" with no problems. The TO-30 was rated to be a 3 14" plow tractor. Personally I prefer my Ferguson disc plow over the moldboard plow. It pulls much easier and doesn"t leave a hard pan like moldboard plowing does. Beware when shopping for a moldboard plow most older moldboard plows like Ferguson,Dearborn,Ford,etc...you can not get wear parts for them very easily anymore and they are very expensive when you do find them. If your rear tires aren"t loaded you will find plowing can be difficult depending on your soil type. Your tractor should be able to handle a 6.5" disc but depending on how heavy it is built you will want the front tires loaded as well or you will not keep the front end on the ground when the disc is picked up and your trying to turn. A quality disc will be heavy built. If you can find one a Ferguson or the later Massey Ferguson 3pt was one of the best 3pt discs ever built. I have 5 discs two of them are your cheaper TSC discs and two of them are old IH pull type and one of them is an old 7ft King Plow company disc. It is a 4 gang but I can only run half of it behind my TO-20 because I can"t keep the front end on the ground and my front tires are loaded but it cuts in one pass what one of the cheaper discs couldn"t do in three passes. Also don"t forget the Ferguson 9 shank tiller. It was designed to be used instead of moldboard plowing. They are a very handy plow to have.

Volksman79
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was just looking at the 9 shank and it looks more like something we need. My tires are loaded and I also think I am going to make a front weight block. We are reclaiming old farm land that has turned into a small forest. Clearing the trees and stumps first them working the ground with compost and lyme to get it back. I am almost positive it was the original garden area of our house back in 1832. This use to be The farm on our road. THank you for your help. I am just learning and it always help to here from people that do it.

Volksman79
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure how the soil will be yet. Once I clear the trees and stump it I will know a little more. We are going to have to work at it to get it back to a garden area. Where we have the garden now is about an acre and most of it is 3% slope. We just bought the house and it sits on 8.4 acres. It was a farm a long time ago and we plan to bring it back. The current garden will become our orchard.

Volksman79
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are a lot of rocks here it is Newengland. Do the 9 shanks have springs or are they fixed tines?

Volksman79
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

would the 5 shank be a good option if I can not find a 9 shank?

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They made them both ways but most of them you find are the spring loaded shanks. Ferguson was a 9BO Tiller, Ford called theirs a Field Cultivator but it was the same plow. There are companys that make brand new versions of those plows to this day. I think Fred Cain is one of the companies that still make them if you can't find a good used one. If you look a few threads down for my plowing comparision thread you can see the ground I plowed with one compared to a moldboard plow and my disc plow. They are a very handy plow to have you can work up new ground, you can spread the spacing out and cultivate with it, it leaves the soil in good shape and doesn't compact it like a disc does.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think the 5 shank would cover your wheel tracks or you would have to spread the shanks so far apart that it wouldn't do a good job plowing. Early Ferguson tillers were 7 shank so they would be ok.

Volksman79
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good to know. I did find them in all sizes. I just can not seem to find one near Mass. I will keep looking. I like they way they seem to work and I think it will be a good fit here.

Volksman79
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am going to look for one of those. I think the 9 shank may a be a little big for the areas i need to work beside the garden. The 5 shank does look a little small.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

volksman79 wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:00:15 10/15/13) I am going to look for one of those. I think the 9 shank may a be a little big for the areas i need to work beside the garden. The 5 shank does look a little small.

The 9 shank is only as wide as the rear tires on the tractor. If I can remember I'll take a pic of mine behind my TO-20 to show you the width. If the rear tires fit thru the plow should fit.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oddly enough, the Ferguson tiller in Australia was called a stump jump scarifier. So at least you know you don't have to worry about hitting stumps with it!!

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I missed a one bottom Ferguson plow on the Worcester CL a while ago. Yours is a TO20 isn't it? You got rocks, roots stumps, you better start with a one bottom, or a subsoiler to draw this junk up. With a lot of rocks, I wouldn't want to ruin an ol fergie disc harrow, just find any ol clunky harrow and use that for the first year. I don't go that far east anymore, but I used to have a lot of good luck on the southeast mass CL or even RI. NH has a 2 bottom a couple weeks ago, I suppose a 'food plot' hunter scooped it up before I got to it.

Volksman79
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bottom plow and disc harrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Then 9 it is. If I can find one. Not to many around mass. i may need
to travel or have one shipped. Do you still need to disc after?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.