Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Penetrating oils

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duey (IA)
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Penetrating oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From my e-mail
You guys may be interested in this:

Machinist"s Workshop Mag recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oils Average torque load to loosen

* No Oil used 516 pounds
* WD-40 238 pounds
* PB Blaster 214 pounds
* Liquid Wrench 127 pounds
* Kano Kroil 106 pounds
* ATF-Acetone mix 53 pounds

*** ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix, (this actually works well). Power-steering fluid also works as well as ATF!

Ken Crisman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Penetrating oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always used PB Blaster to soak rusted frozen parts or heat . One day a friend who works on smalll engines came to seee why my wood splitter engine wouldn't stat . After trying a few adjustments with no luck , he sprayed into the air filter of the Briggs engine , pulled the rope once & it started up immediately . He showed me what he uses for almost eerything from rusted threads to carb problems . Its a spray made by Amsoil .He's an Amsoil dealer . Ever since that day , I've been buying & using that spray & love it . It costs $6.00 per can . Try it & see for reself . HTH ! God bless , Ken

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Penetrating oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That has been posted many times over the years and is not a real test as such since no 2 parts can be stuck the same but yes ATF works far better then most stuff and I keep a pumper oil can full of it for working on things

Kevin B from Illinois
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Penetrating oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad used to squirt Liquid Wrench into the spark plug hole in the spring to get it going, but not listed on the list is Twister and thats what I think is the best.

Tony S.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Penetrating oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tried it the other day on some rusted chains. Worked OK, nothing too impressive. Acetone is very expensive. ATF and diesel fuel about the same, much cheaper.

rabbit
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Penetrating oils Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A couple years back, I had a fence row hayrake I needed to disassemble. I had a time period before I had to get to work on it, so I pretreated each of the bolts several times with several popular penetrating oils. Made sure to use same brand on each bolt/nut.
When I finally impacted them off about two weeks later, NONE if the bolts showed evidence of any oil having penetrated more than a couple threads.
I was disappointed to say the least!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.