Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

550 Oliver

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne Six

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Picked up a '67 550 Oliver four or five years ago, everything working great except the front end loader no longer goes down. No specs on loader anywhere....has two one way cylinders and a cable to dump bucket. Lifts just fine, but had to turn off to lower bucket...now it keeps going up very slowly when running. Suspect the controler unit is leaking around O rings or something similar..anyone ever seen or heard of a comparable loader or controler problem. Would sure like to have some controler specs before tearing into it...but no lables/plate on it anywhere...
Thanks

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does it have a front pump with a separate valve or run off the tractor pump and valve?

rrman61
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pictures might help

Wayne Six
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think it is a factory loader....I know what you mean about the one's that run off of a forward PTO sort of arrangement, this one has a controller on the fender to the right of the driver and hoses run down the hyrdaulic pump under the seat...please see picture. Thanks.

Wayne Six
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have added a couple of pictures....am pretty well convinced that the problem is in the controller as it goes down nicely with the engine off...but will not go down at all with the engine running and in fact slowly goes up a bit...just would like to have some sort of schematic or diagram before tearing into the darn thing.

wmthrower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know its your preference but please consider taking the yellow away. That old girl deserves better than that.

In all seriousness though, it sounds like the hoses are plumbed to the hydraulic unit itself or are they hooked to remotes?

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OH I am going to have SO much fun painting this 1020 Deere of mine Meadow Green and Clover White and putting Oliver 1255 decals on it! Revenge is sweet!

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you get a picture from the other side showing where the hoses are connected to the tractor and of the valve itself?

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How about a picture of the conroller and the way the hoses are plumbed to the tractrs hydraulic unit

Wayne Six
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tractor came with the Deer colors.....NOT my preference...not sure the previous owner even knew it was not a Deer. Really is a pretty decent paint job...if you can get past the color choices...so repainting it has been a low priority. Hoping to replace salt water in tires with anti-freeze this winter and will repaint wheels then.
Hoses come right out of the tractor's hydraulic pump and run to the control and back to the tractor... controller has only four lines...the two going to and from the tractor's pump/system and then one hose to each side of the front end loader, e.g, no return line from the loader hydraulic cylinders...... the controler only has two levers...one to each cylinder...pull back on both and bucket goes up...used to be if you pushed down, the pressure released and gravity lowered the bucket depending on how hard/long you pushed....no markings on controler either... was just hoping someone might recognize the loader...and everyone would ignore the paint job... thanks for the interest will get pictures of hoses and controlers tommorrow....

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you get a picture? I can't figure where those hoses and coming in and out of the tractor. As far as a lever for each cylinder? What kind of nut job was the guy who cobbled that up? At the very least both cylinders should work off one lever with a T in the hoses.

Wayne Six
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with your analysis of the controller setup... but now you know why I was hoping to find someone who recognized this arrangement or I could get some idea what to expect when I tore into this thing........ recently rebuilt the Marvel Schebler TSX-811 this thing, so am not afraid of challenges....this thing just appears to be more magic than engineering... will get/post pics tomorrow afternoon/evening...thanks for the interest.

wmthrower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So you have each cylinder plumbed separately. Each has its own lever. You have a loader moving up so you are putting more fluid into the cylinders to move them. Somewhere you are building pressure.
I'll let the experts chime in but I bet it will involve a pressue guage.

Wayne Six
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hopefully these pictures will explain what I am dealing with...the only markings on the controller are IN and OUT. The lines attached to the two lower fittings lead back to the tractor and appear to be 1/2" or 5/8" fittings. There are two 3/8" hoses coming out of the top of the controller and each runs directly to a cylinder on the loader arms. Pushing the single lever lifts the bucket. Pulling on the lever used to release pressure and bucket went down. Now it will not go down unless you turn the tractor off...suspect maybe leaking O rings or something, but would sure help if I had some diagram/schematic of the controller before I tear it apart as have never seen a setup like this before. Please see close up picture of controller, might help explain what I have.

Wayne Six
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like picture did not make it..trying again...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters