Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catalytic converter on 8n?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylemorley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Catalytic converter on 8n? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reading the latest "vertical vs horizontal exhaust, which smells worse" thread got me wondering. I wonder what would happen if you put a catalytic converter on an n-series? Might clean up the exhaust and make it smell as sweet as a Prius. Be nice if it did, especially for using pto gadgets like splitters and cordwood saws. Might quiet it down a bit too.

Got a little cat off a VW Rabbit out in the shed somewhere - maybe I should give it a try.

JCinKY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter on 8n? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A cat will filter out harmful particles (CO, NO2, etc), but I highly doubt it will smell any better.

Stick you nose up that bugs tailpipe and see what you get. LOL.

I like mine to pop and be "somewhat" loud, just cause its cool.

FarmerHR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter on 8n? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When a catalytic converter removes CO etc, it is an exothermic reaction. With an engine that does not have sophisticated air fuel control, the convert can get very hot.
If you decide to add the converter, keep a close eye on the temperature of the converter.
I have seen them get hot enough to destroy the converter.
Hope this helps.

old-9
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter on 8n? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try this, cheaper. Had a friend that used 'pina colada. Never hurt his 8-N.
Untitled URL Link

Glenn D
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter on 8n? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think a cat would clog pretty quickly on an N. on cars the exhaust is usually enriched with air (from a smog pump)which make it's burn hotter to have an optimum reaction in the cat. more modern cars have 02 sensors and computers to vary the mixture to do the same sort of job. one piece of a system like that isn't going to do much for you i'm afraid.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter on 8n? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have to be very careful to get the right one or your check engine light will come on and then when you go for your vehicle inspection you will not pass, and then that triggers a level III inspection where they will check the mfg dates on your tires, and will also check that your tail and brake lights are visible from 500 yards.

tesmith66
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter on 8n? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hate when that happens.

Don't start any grass fires with your overheated cat.

504-1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter on 8n? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A cat can run a 1200 deg I would not want one.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter on 8n? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why would anyone do such a thing?

Dean

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter on 8n? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:55:18 10/18/13) Why would anyone do such a thing?

Dean
you and me, both!

NoNewParts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter on 8n? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

-joke- wow, 1200 degrees, I'd mount that puppy right under
the rear, so my lift would work sooner in January! -joke-

I'll stick with my $7 turn downs.
side out on a vertical, down on a horizontal.
They even come in chrome! Very Happy

js305
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter on 8n? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like this but be aware it could be a new trend in "sniffing" stuff. Think about it: Down at the end of the line of tractors at a show they are charging a quarter a sniff at the rear end of an N. If the CO doesn't get you the law will...the possibilities are endless.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.