Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ansews to 43 War Tractor ???????s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WW2N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Ansews to 43 War Tractor ???????s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No steel wheals, came with tires Marked U.S. FARM TRACTOR ONLY. They were shot so I dont think all war tractors had steel. Yes It was always crank started even 1n the winter, if ya dont flood it it starts 1st 2nd or 3rd time. Just kept it tuned up and I can tell you this the magneto is a good setup, and it will snake bit you if your on the grounded side of the spark. Yes 8N peddle tractor is grand sons but he is more interested in the big tractors. The 8N peddle tractor was made in Iowa USA by good Americans for $250 which is cheap in my book and Kept Americans working. I also have a new American made starter see photo LOL.

WW2N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ansews to 43 War Tractor ???????s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Photo shows new American Made starter.

Fuddy Duddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ansews to 43 War Tractor ???????s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That starter looks new. Be a long time before you wear that one out. LOL

Tim Daley(MI)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ansews to 43 War Tractor ???????s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One of the big misconceptions of tractor folk is that ALL 2Ns were war-time machines on steel, etc. WRONG. The actual production of the 2N war time tractor was only around 10,000 units. Never mind what the books say, they contain many false statements and inaccuracies. ALL production, cars, trucks, and tractors shut down for several months in "42 and less than 6400 tractors were built that year so Ford could concentrate on military vehicles and ordnance. An all correct 2N didn"t occur until around s/n 109XXX, in "43, and this isn"t the war time machine. More trivia upon request...

Tim "PloughNman" Daley(MI)

L.B,
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ansews to 43 War Tractor ???????s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi tim you have spiked my interest I though 42 and 43 were war time if they had a mag No starter,genny,lights,distrib chrome. So 8988were war time up to 109xxx? That would that be the 10,000 war time tractors? When you say the book has it wrong what book are we talking about? Ok now where did you get the correct information? I would really like the correct information sorce on these tractors so I don't mis-speak.thanks Master of the Obvious L.B,

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ansews to 43 War Tractor ???????s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WW2N wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:29:42 10/16/13) No steel wheals, came with tires Marked U.S. FARM TRACTOR ONLY. They were shot so I dont think all war tractors had steel. Yes It was always crank started even 1n the winter, if ya dont flood it it starts 1st 2nd or 3rd time. Just kept it tuned up and I can tell you this the magneto is a good setup, and it will snake bit you if your on the grounded side of the spark. Yes 8N peddle tractor is grand sons but he is more interested in the big tractors. The 8N peddle tractor was made in Iowa USA by good Americans for $250 which is cheap in my book and Kept Americans working. I also have a new American made starter see photo LOL.

I picked up a made in the US 8N mostly metal pedal tractor for the grandkids to play on a few years ago at a farm supply. Was just over 100 bucks.

That's a nice looking tractor, like the starter too.

Rick

Rick

WW2N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ansews to 43 War Tractor ???????s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, and I know your a Vet, like myself and many others here and thanks a lot to all. Made in the USA means that it was part of why we served. With all the problems OUR country is having if we got all the jobs back 95% of this down hill trip would be solved. Sad aint it-Not a ? its a statement.

Tim Daley(MI)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ansews to 43 War Tractor ???????s Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The "books" don"t go into very much detail about the 2N War Time tractor. I got a lot of information directly from Mr. Harold Brock back in 2005. Some authors did do their homework and have very good books with very good pictures though some tractors shown may be incorrect, the authors didn"t know that at the time. Randy Leffingwell and Robert Pripps are good. I"m saying the first all 2N tractor wasn"t around until 109xxx based on parts books. The prior parts books show no 2N prefixed part numbers. The war time 2N was introduced to get a price increase approved by the War Board. Production as-is continued in "42 with a handful steel/magneto units being built now and then. Ferguson convinced Roosevelt that the tractor was essential to America keeping food supplies and farm work going and he agreed. This allowed tractors on rubber to continue to roll. By then end of "42 they were pretty much back to standard operating procedures.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.