Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

J.D.'A' Axle seal replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray Fenchak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: J.D.'A' Axle seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have to replace the axle seals on my 1951..I know they are inside the housing between the bull gear and housing... the I&T shop manual doesnt say a lot about how. Just wondering.. does anyone have any tips on this ? i am guessing I gotta pull the axle shaft out to change them and it will be a chore the wheels have never ever been taken off or even moved .. Thanks!

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: J.D.'A' Axle seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The hub is the tough part, but you don't have to remove it, you can just take the wheel off the hub with all the outer bolts. (at least with the pressed wheels - not sure with cast)

The wheel should be relatively easy. Ours stuck but didn't take that much effort to pop off.

Last edited by JRSutton on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: J.D.'A' Axle seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

^^^ getting the wheels off is the hardest part

36b A
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: J.D.'A' Axle seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not a bad job I've done many . I put mine in my GM by myself now that was a job ! Good time to free up the hubs while its apart . Get a long piece of threaded rod and pull in the seals .

Tyler-MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: J.D.'A' Axle seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like 36 B A said, you have to pull them into the housing from the inside using threaded rod and a pulling disc of correct size. If you simply drive the seals in as you would a smaller diameter seal, it is highly likely it will be distorted and leak once again...something you won't want to happen.

Once the seal puller is snug (use a little wrench as if you pull it too hard it will distort the seal) use a little hammer to tap around the seal puller disc and little by little and bit by bit tighten the nut on the rod until you have the seal seated. Take care not to damage the seal lip when installing the axle...it's highly recommended to have a friend helping for this repair job.

Best of Luck,
Tyler in IL

36 A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: J.D.'A' Axle seal replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there should be a big flat washer in there to that helps the axle go in and not bang up the seal .

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.