Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B axle removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: B axle removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

43 B - need to replace the bull gear/final drive gear - whatever you want to call it.

(and if anybody HAS one, I'd like to talk - we're still searching for something cheap)

Got the wheel off. Got the big axle nut off - or at least loosened, not enough room to actually remove it till the axle comes out a little.

Axle won't move out.

Am I missing something?

I was kind of hoping the axle would just pull right out.

There aren't any clips or anything else that holds the axle in, right?

I had hoped all the heavy pounding to get the hub off the axle would have pulled the axle itself out a little, but nothing.

Mark Poss
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: B axle removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try a bar between the two axles to get it moving

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: B axle removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

did that - but didn't go crazy.

Figured I'd ask here first in case I was missing something stupid.

Will try again

thanks

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: B axle removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't remember what year there were screws in the outer felt retainer ?

Later years the retainer will pop out when you put a wedge between the axles inside and pry.

JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: B axle removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The outer guard for felt retainer has to be removed then like others said it might take a little prying. Once you get it loosened up it should come right out. I just did seals on our 1945

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: B axle removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your retainer has bolts unbolt it.

If the retainers are just the drive in type DO NOT PRY them out as you will ruin them and may not be able to buy new ones. They will easily pop out with the axle.

Tyler-MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: B axle removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a steel splitting wedge and a sledge hammer...don't get crazy with it but if you take your time it will come out.
One trick to remove the outer felt seal retainer (if it's not the bolt on type) is to mig weld a piece of light angle iron to it in a couple places and gently using a hammer tap on the angle until the retainer is removed...then grind the welds and reuse the retainer.

Best of Luck,
Tyler in IL

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: B axle removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine has screws in the retainer. I had pulled the screws, and removed the cover.

Under that is another "layer" - it's pressed steel, it has a flange that runs around the edges just like the cover (the 4 screws go through it) - and there's a seal pressed into that.

Never saw something like that before - I had started prying that out but when I got to the point of mangling it, that's when I stopped. I figured if I've never seen one before, they can't be too easy to find.

I'll go back to prying on the axle, but won't be able to till tomorrow.

thanks for all the advice.

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: B axle removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

finally found an name for the pressed metal part I was talking about - the "dust exluder".

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.