Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with Case IH 5120

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
parttimefarmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After using my 5120 on a silage bagger, we went to unhook it from the bagger and it would not move. Put it in gear and it moves about an inch and stops. Also, the 3 point arms will not lift and the light next to the contol lever that is supposed to blink, does not. Nothing flashes on the dash indicating a possible issue with the powershift. Any ideas on wher to start looking for the problem? tractor has been problem free up to now.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the Hytran oil level. If full, add even more and give it a try. No guarantee but cheap. Jim

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most likely your hyd pump has gone out. But it is worth overfilling and changing filters before pushing it onto the trailer.

oj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do the rest of the hydraulics work?? Steering, remotes etc? If the hydraulic remotes are slow or the steering is poor, let me know, i have a similar problem which too forever to figure out... post back or email.

HydroTek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pull the RH cover off the dash to get to the relay and fuses ..be sure the relays are fully seated ..this was a common problem because of the vibration of the bagger. I sometimes thread a zip tie around the relay and socket to keep them from backing out

parttimefarmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Checked the hydraulic fluid level first thing. It is full.

parttimefarmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pulled all fuses and relays and re-inserted them. Power steering works fine. Having someone stop by the check all the electrical switches and solenoids as he thinks the problem is with one of them. thanks for the input.

HydroTek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there are two lights on the dash for diagnostics, one on the left for four speed powershift anf on the right for shuttle ...both of these come on when you first key on?

parttimefarmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HydroTek wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:08:33 10/19/13) there are two lights on the dash for diagnostics, one on the left for four speed powershift anf on the right for shuttle ...both of these come on when you first key on?

Tracked problem down to not getting power to the fuse for the powershift. Jumping form another fuse to the powershift fuse gets the tractor to move and all gears to work. Now we need to find out why we are not getting power.

Owner's manual shows the relays for the powershift system above the left side fuse box. They are not there on my 5120. Next step is find them and check them out.

HydroTek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

transmission relays on the right, just lights on the left. pull the fuse and look into the hole, sometimes the terminal will back out.

the relays are for the shuttle and interlock system. the powershift uses a clicker switch on the clutch pedal to activate that system. the other two switches are for the interlock system to energize the shuttle

Merr1
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My hydraulics are slow and steering is poor. Do you know the problem?

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Merr1 wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:21:33 11/26/13) My hydraulics are slow and steering is poor. Do you know the problem?

If you are in a cold climate it could be weather and filter related. How long since filters have been replaced?

Merr1
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Checked fluid, its full. put 3 more gallons in it,
still no change. I am getting pressure from the
pump. I dont think its the pump. only 2600 hrs on
the tractor. Changed pressure switches,
solinoids,checked power on the fuses/relays, I dont
know from here. The tractor will move three feet
then its like it kicks in to nuetral, poor
hydraulics, poor steering.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Merr1 wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:31:35 01/02/14) Checked fluid, its full. put 3 more gallons in it,
still no change. I am getting pressure from the
pump. I dont think its the pump. only 2600 hrs on
the tractor. Changed pressure switches,
solinoids,checked power on the fuses/relays, I dont
know from here. The tractor will move three feet
then its like it kicks in to nuetral, poor
hydraulics, poor steering.

If you are in a cold climate it could be weather and filter related. How long since filters have been replaced?

oj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with Case IH 5120 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AS showcrop says, change the filter... if it still does it, take the seat out of the cab, then on the tip of the transmission housing is a block with hydraulic lines/solenoids remove the block from the trans housing,pull the solenoids and check the o rings, then check the spools in the block, there may be one stuck... don't ask how i know.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.