Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: where to sell a walnut stump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2x4
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: OT: where to sell a walnut stump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

actually the stump is still on the tree. River undercut it & whole tree toppled beside the river but not in it. Have it limbed & topped & will pull it up into the bottom tomarrow with the New Holland. Logs won't be worth much but the root is about 6 ft. long & 30 inches in diameter. Walnut stumps are highly valued for making gunstocks but I need to find a buyer. Your experience or knowledge?

Tom in TN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: where to sell a walnut stump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2X4,

I don't know about stumps, but I sold some black walnut logs to a local saw mill a few years ago.

They fetched a good price. Sawyer said that they would be used to produce walnut veneer for furniture makers.

Tom in TN

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: where to sell a walnut stump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was under the impression that walnut logs were in demand also. Walnut lumber is X-pensive.

davpal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: OT: where to sell a walnut stump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think they need to be at least 8 feet long so they can make veneer out of them.

D beatty
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: OT: where to sell a walnut stump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We gave a large walnut stump to a freind of ours that was a wood sculpter. He carved animals,gun grips & stocks and made spinning wheels (they actually would spin wool). The only way he would take is that we had to dig it out. After it was out he came in with a two man chainsaw and blocked it the the way he wanted it. You might run an add in some gun magazines or look for someone that makes custom stocks.

2x4
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: OT: where to sell a walnut stump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

unless they have started taking 6 ft. veneer, these are only sawlogs. One big knot right where it shouldn"t be spoils that. Local mills only pay lowest prices & claim they don"t deal in walnut if they can help it. It"s them or nobody & they know it. And its only one tree.

2x4
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: OT: where to sell a walnut stump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the logs are small & low grade. It's the root I need to peddle to high-end buyers.

2x4
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: OT: where to sell a walnut stump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had heard the above-ground 16 inches or so needed to go with the root part, as one piece but didn't hear an overall length figure.

2x4
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: OT: where to sell a walnut stump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

good idea! I had only been thinking about commercial buyers.

VaTom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: OT: where to sell a walnut stump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2x4 wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:38:27 10/19/13) the logs are small & low grade. It's the root I need to peddle to high-end buyers.

Other than veneer, you will always come out ahead if you get it milled and then sell. I don't sell logs, only boards. Then the customer can see exactly what they're paying for, no surprises.

Bandsaw mills are usually available for hire, or even a chainsaw mill will work fine. I've sold a lot of boards from both. Low grade is a big deal to a mill, but some customers prefer the defects, "character". When you sell direct, it's whatever you and the customer agree on. Industry standard has little to do with it.

I had no trouble selling this walnut, milled with a chainsaw. I always mill for figure, not grade.

Last edited by VaTom on Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
MF#1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: OT: where to sell a walnut stump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Search for "walnut buyers", should get a few hits. This one works:
forestry forum

2x4
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: where to sell a walnut stump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks but I was looking for a fast buck. The dozer injection pump went out and, worst case scenerio, $1600 for a new one. Don't expect this tree to near pay for it but trying to round up bucks for the pump.

VaTom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: OT: where to sell a walnut stump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fast? The boards I wanted to sell from that otherwise worthless log went in one day with a craigslist ad. The remainder are stickered here. I then deleted the ad. The buyer got full instruction on how to sticker and dry the boards. I was happy to get half of what you need for your pump.

You might have had the cash in your pocket already. Looking for a peculiar buyer takes far more time than letting one find you. Photos of the product help immensely. That photo worked perfectly.

Good luck.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.