Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update junk Whirlpool

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lowes extended warranty is giving me a full refund plus tax, which is around $400+. The refund is a lowes gift card.

I look at it this way, if I spend $2500 or more for the best washer and it lasts me 25 years, that's $100 per year. If I buy a $300 machine and get extended warranty for under $100, and the machine dies after extended warranty period, that's less than $100 per year. If the machine dies while under warranty, I get a full refund.

Who is to say the best most expensive washing machines will last for 25 years without needing service?

So, what washing machine should I buy at Lowes? I really don't want the energy savers with auto sensing. Don't want a machine that takes 2 hours to do a load. Don't want any machine that uses the whirlpool tranny. Another way to word my question is what is the best of the worst at lowes? I know, you get what you pay for. Definitely buying the longest extended warranty. Going to wait for Thanksgiving or Christmas sales. They seem to happen every year at about the same time Smile Haven't figure out why.

George

VernMI

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Roper

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Roper is Whirlpool, is Amana. Just bought an Amana - had a problem registering on line, had to call them to correct an entry. Guess who I talked to? Whirlpool in Benton Harbor, MI.

A while back, wife ras replacing appliances in kitchen. We bought a Frigidare refrig... Got it home, only to find it was a Electrolux product. That company is not too popular around here after thay abandoned thousands of employees and moved operations to Mexico.

Old Roy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I won't buy any more of their appliances.. they want to sell you an extra warranty,, if ya don't buy it somehow they program them to quit 6 months after first warranty expires. Go to a dealer that services them .

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old Roy,
I have no choice. Have to spend money, a rebate check, at LOWES, not a dealer.

I read where a guy had my problem, bad tranny, in 2 years and no extended warranty. Guess what, yep he got nothing.

Want everyone to consider my point, cost per year and best of the worst.

George

37chief
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think anyone makes a good washer anymore. The more they cost the more that will go wrong. I checked on the net. They still sell the washboards. Around 25.00 a little pricy, but made in ohio. I guarantee they will not have a tranny problem. I might just buy one for a spare. I'm sure that will go over good with the wife. I can remember my grand mother using one. She never got a electric operated machine. Stan

Jon Hagen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dont think it is so much the brand as the basic design of the machine.
We had two of the expensive little roll around whirlpool portable washers. Both died at less than 4 years old because of transmission failure.

What caused the transmission failures ?? The failures were from them going away from the proven adjitator design of having a tall spindle that put the shaft, bearing, seal, above the water line.
The portables had the adjitator bearing, seal, shaft, at the bottom of the tub where it was subjected to the full depth of corrosive wash water and soap, it soon developed a leak and filled the transmission with caustic soap water.

We had enough of that, we bought the cheapest Whirlpool Estate brand washer on the floor, with the old tall adjitator spindle design, added caster wheels to the bottom and added the quick connect hoses used on the portables.

We now had an instant larger portable for $200 less than the factory model.
It was totally trouble free for the first 14 years when it developed a water drip. Replacing the worn out water pump for $50 fixed that. At 15 years, a small plastic motor to transmission drive coupling broke. $10 bought a new stronger design coupling.
I fully expect the machine to last 20 years. Seems I remember it being about $300 new.

ray hofstetter
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

George,
I bought Maytag washer and dryer 20+ years ago...no problems, but, my understanding is: they don't make'em like that any more...

Kornfused

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my future purchases are gonna be whatever model has the least amount of gadgets - figuring the less to go worng. Current electric dryer (Amana) has everything (settings, light, and start button all going through the timer. And what goes out - the timer. $140.00 for a new one. My last Maytag washer(after Whirlpool bought em up) didn't last long at all. Transmission went out. Took it apart and they no longer have steel gears - now plastic or nylon.

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

George, IMHO....You are going at this all wrong!
Since my wife and I have been married We have Not spent over $400 for a any washer/dryer combo we have ever owned. Find a basic HD Top load washer and front load dryer in the Thrifty Nickel or C.L. . I have not had a set yet not make 4 to 5 yrs. We figure it this way. My family of 3, has and average of 4 loads each week with 4 dryer loads too at an average of $15/week if we went to a local Washateria.
$400 ./. $15. = 26.6 weeks,,,,
26.6 ./. 4.33-weeks/month = 6.1 months.
After 6 months and you are making money!!!
This has been my formula for 20 yrs. I figure I am far ahead of this game than most folks. The newer machines are
P. O. S. machines!! So do not go down that road.
My thoughts since you asked.
Later,
John A.

omahagreg
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did not follow this advice, but heard an appliance repairman say LG are best front loaders, and speed queen are best top loaders!

Last edited by omahagreg on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John.,
You must have missed the part where I have to spend the refund at Lowes.

BTW, I have a 40+ year old whirlpool I've been able to repair using parts from washers tenants throw away.

BOSS WANTS A NEW MACHINE FOR UPSTAIRS. Now if the boss isn't happy, no one is happy.

Alaskapete
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our next washing machine will be whatever my wife wants. 47 years of marriage tells me that to think otherwise is trouble.

redtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our 6yr old High efficiency Whirlpool puked after 6 yrs. Main computer failed. Fix was 350$ or half a new one. Bought a new Samsung high efficiency from Lowes. With 3 kids, 2 being girls, we do a ton of laundry and I can tell you the HE Truly uses one third the water! Do I know which one is best? Not really. The Samsung Front load HE uses a stator/motor on drum so no belt or trans, for what that's worth. I personally hate Lowes. So, why did I go there? They are the only store in my town that still stocks appliances out back! Not Sears, Home Depot, or the Maytag store. All have to wait one to two weeks for new one. And the Lowes people said they too will soon no longer stock appls.

MartyinVa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Update junk Whirlpool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dont know what washer to tell you to buy but none of them should take 2hrs to do a load.
The only way this could happen is if you have a restricted water flow. Either your supply valve is not open all the way or the screens in the washer are full of grit or silt.
Good luck with your choice.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.