Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

garden hose reel..anyone? help needed..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DENNIS MIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: garden hose reel..anyone? help needed.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All,

I've rolled plenty of garden hose, and today is no different.

Does anyone sell a reel that can properly handle 200-300 feet of good garden hose?

I am thinking that the rotational joint would be the most expensive.

I'd spent plenty of time getting things put away for winter, but rolling these hoses has got to rank in the tops for wasting energy time after time.

Please post whatever you've got, including what did not work..

Thanks,

D.

caterpillar guy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: garden hose reel..anyone? help needed.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try an old power line cable spool. Should be enough room for that much hose there. could even build a small trailer to haul it. Now you have another job for the tractor.

Bob85355
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: garden hose reel..anyone? help needed.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a grass fire in the pasture and not enough hose to get there so afterwards went to home depot and bought a big metal reel mounted on good sized wheels with a decent handle. I"ve put 200 feet on it without a problem and suspect I could get another 50 or so on it. Got tired of the plastic things crumbling ever 3 years. I think the cost was around $90.

Bob
Central Arizona

Jim in Ma.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: garden hose reel..anyone? help needed.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I mounted two wide car rims on the shop wall 10' apart and about 5" high.
Hint = When you coil a long hose on those two rims in a figure eight, It will not twist or tangled.

DENNIS MIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: garden hose reel..anyone? help needed.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CaterpillarGuy,

Perhaps a three point that"d fit my meager Kubota would be rightly sized!

Thanks for the thoughts.

D.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: garden hose reel..anyone? help needed.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

keep your eye out or research where old firetrucks are. They all had what they called booster reels. Remove the heavy booster line and put your garden hose on. They even come with twelve volt rewind motors, and the fitting so that it can be connected and not leak.

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: garden hose reel..anyone? help needed.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's one that holds 400'-0"
Jackson Hose Reel

neverfear
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: garden hose reel..anyone? help needed.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I second the Jackson. Had many plastic ones that got brittle in the sun or the dog found pleasure in chewing on or were just a pain to use.
Finally went and spent about $125 at Northern Tool and got something good. Be prepared, you do have to assemble it,kind of a jungle gym but well worth it.

old bc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: garden hose reel..anyone? help needed.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After having trouble with the plastic hose reels sun rotting I bought a cart like the one in the link from the local hardware store.
Hose Cart

Charles (in GA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: garden hose reel..anyone? help needed.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought the heavier of the Northern Tool reels. Biggest problem was the hose connection to the reel was the wrong angle and could not be made any better. Finally got a 45 brass m/f hose angle and installed it and this keeps the hose from kinking. I have 100 ft of black Goodyear garden hose on it and did have another 50 ft on it that I removed. Rewinding a long hose just about flips over the reel with the friction of the hose on the ground as you drag it in.

Charles

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: garden hose reel..anyone? help needed.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I buried a high pressure hose has working pressure 180psi from the house to the garden. It's slanted toward the house so I can drain it every Fall in the basement. I have a picture of it somewhere on the computer. Hal
PS: I have a faucet at the garden and can run soaker hoses during dry weather.
You can get it in 300' lengths. Mine has been buried for over 20 years.

DaveK(IN)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: garden hose reel..anyone? help needed.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one like this. Have to tighten up the swivel occasionally but has been an excellent unit. I have 100 ft.
Of 1 inch hose on mine with no problem. the pneumatic tires are nice too.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.