Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT What kind of tree is this

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have this tree on my property and I do not know what kind it is. It is the only one I have seen. The leaf pictured is ten inches tall and eight and a half inches wide. The ten inches is from the tip to where the stem connects to the leaf. There are smaller leaves on this tree. In the early summer this tree has white flowers about three inches in diameter on it. The flowers stay on for about a month, I think. This tree is located about twenty miles south of Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota. Anyone have any ideas?

I have looked in a couple of tree books and can't find it. The tree had to come from somewhere. I have owned the property for over forty years, and don't feel the tree is forty years old. The tree is maybe thirty-five feet tall.

chris 8nny

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look up Catalpa speciosa

CGID
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree, a leaf that shape and size and white flowers, it has to be a catalpa. Unless you are lucky enough to have a special cultivar, the flowers should develop into long, bean-shaped pods that litter your lawn like nobody's business.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The leaf in the picture looks to be a Southern
Catalpa due to the pointed end on the leaf you
showed. AKA Eastern Catalpa, Eastern Catalpa,
Indian Bean, Indian Cigar tree. Leaves up to 8"
long and wide (Catalpa Bignonioides).

We've got a bunch of Northern Catalpas here in my
area of central NY. AKA Western Catalpa or Hardy
Catalpa. Leaves up to 12" long and 8" wide and
more of a blunt point at the end then in your
photo. Beans are 8" to 20" long (Catalpa
Speciosa).

If it's a Catalpa, the flowers look like small
orchids and it ought to have long beans hanging
off it in the fall (now). I just had this
discussion with a new guy from New York City that
bought and old farm here in central NY. He swore
it had no beans on it. I went over and looked at
it and it has hundreds of long beans hanging off
of it right now. Seems to be one of the few
tree species here that still has leaves and are
still green. Most everything else turned yellow
and fell off for fall.

We've got two Northern Catalpas here we started
from seed four years ago. 15 feet tall now and
flowered this year for the first time.

notjustair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have many Royal Empress trees. I think the leaf looks like that. Now that I think about it I am not sure.

That's a pretty small leaf for an Empress trees.

steamnjn23
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

in tennessee we call them an "indian cigar tree"

JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I googled Catalpa speciosa and what I saw is it is native to the southern states and sort of a tropical tree. I have never seen the long bean shaped pods in the tree or on the ground. The ground is covered with big leaves now.

Gambles
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a couple of catalpa trees in my yard at previous place that I lived. I'm not a big fan of them. Not really good for a shade tree, the bean pods litter the ground in the fall and there were a couple of years where they got attacked by army (I believe) worms and stripped the trees clean during the summer.

Cliff(VA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a friend who had a couple of large catalpas poached off of his property. Apparently the wood is used for something special in Japan.

Regards,

Cliff(VA)

pburg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a couple of these on our acreage.

Billy C.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They got attacked by catalpa worms. Great fish bait for bream and catfish. Here in the South the worms are sold for fish bait.

JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I googled Northern Catalpa And the description matched this tree except for the bean like pods. I will have to look closer for the pods. Says it grows in zones four through eight. I am in the coldest end of zone four.

This morning I went over and looked at the thee and now I see the bean pods. This tree has a few of them on it, not a lot as others have on their trees. Catalpa it is

JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did a closer look at the tree and Catalpa is what it is. Kind of wonder how I got one of them

JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked at the tree after I replied way early morning, Catalpa is what it is.

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: OT What kind of tree is this Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have one in the old back yard area of the old farm house that was here. I used to call it the bean tree, never knew the correct name. Funny seein this post, its the only one on this farm, the back yard used to have a variety of trees, mulberry bush, tree, some species of chestnut, the "Catalpa" or bean tree and hard Maple. The Catalpa seems to be quite old, the grain of the wood is interesting, it reminds me of Oak. This tree was damaged in a storm some years back, not too bad, but a sizeable limb that was sort of hanging, I did not cut off the whole thing, for whatever reason, sure is healthy, what grew back, totally hides what happened, I will have to save the wood off it to make something. Flowers are nice on it, nice aroma.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.