Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 phase question

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WyoDave
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm building a new house, near my shop. It's going to require an electrical upgrade, and my plan is to have the COOP drop a 120/208 3 phase Y, and run this to my shop, and to the new house. That way I can stay with one meter. I see a lot of things like ovens, clothes dryers, air conditioners etc... are able to run either 240 or 208. Will they just have lower output, or is it something you can select, and still get full power out of them? Is this something I'll regret? Obviously the main benefit is having 3 phase in the shop.

David

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WyoDave wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:36:14 10/24/13) I'm building a new house, near my shop. It's going to require an electrical upgrade, and my plan is to have the COOP drop a 120/208 3 phase Y, and run this to my shop, and to the new house. That way I can stay with one meter. I see a lot of things like ovens, clothes dryers, air conditioners etc... are able to run either 240 or 208. Will they just have lower output, or is it something you can select, and still get full power out of them? Is this something I'll regret? Obviously the main benefit is having 3 phase in the shop.

David
Before you spend too much time investigating equipment, you best talk to your co-op to see if they will do what you want & what the cost to you will be. Probably going to be a surprise!

WyoDave
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It runs right by the shop to an irrigation service anyways. They just have to do the drop. I already talked to them.

David

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Electric heaters operated on 208 instead of 240 will produce approx 75% of nameplate heat. 208 instead of 220v will drop output to 89% . So the operator of an electric stove or clothes dryer would never notice the difference unless operated continuous at 100%.
Single phase well pumps and AC units will usually slug along ok on 208V as manufactures make some allowances.
Ideally the house AC and well pump would be three phase 208. Motor efficiency will be much improved over the single phase versions of the same capacity .

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

208 is an oddball for a home, just put in the appropriate transformer and run the home on 240/120.

WyoDave
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. The only problem I might have is I found a real nice deal on an air conditioner that isn't 3 phase. It is marked 208/230v single phase. Will it work alright? I understand the benefit behind finding a 3 phase unit, but the price is right on the one I found.
David

WyoDave
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You mean use a step up transformer to feed the house panel?

David

IH2444
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where would you get your 120V?

dr sportster
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only thing that should be sized as 208 only is probably the hot water heater. Otherwise you may have to wait some for hot water if it is rated 240 and operated 208. In my area the power company supplies 120/208 and most things work fine [although it is changing amperage ]. The 277/480 from Public Service is really 265/460 volts . They are ripping everyone off a little . All equipment installed is rated for 277/480 and operates normally.If you google search this you can ad alot of confusion from some of the electrical websites where everyone argues about what works and what doesn't..
Allegedly manufacturers are allowing for this in appliances.

dr sportster
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any one phase to neutral is 120. It is a 120/208 3 ph service. Single pole breaker taking one position are still 120 output.two pole and 3 pole breakers will put out the 208 voltage.

WyoDave
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any one of the 3 hot legs would be 120. That's the easy part

David

dr sportster
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it will work fine it only needs a two pole breaker to feed the receptacle where it plugs in.

WyoDave
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. Gas hot water heater, so that shouldn't be a concern. I know exactly what you mean about arguing on other sites. I'm going to have a meeting with the COOP and my electrician next week, and go over the plan. Just want to sound like I know what I'm talking about a little bit in the meeting.

David

dr sportster
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Or a two pole disconnect if it is an outside unit. [I assume too much ] Maybe not a window unit.

dr sportster
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 3 phase question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best way to impress people in those type meetings is to wear a hard hat wrapped in tin foil with some coat hanger or welding rod antennas.They will just assume you are some type of engineer or electrical genius. Please post pics after the meeting Thanks.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.