Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD 4240 loosing power

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim14167
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: JD 4240 loosing power Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took the 4240 down the road today and immediantly noticed that the tractor seemed like it was starving for power. It got up to 1900rpm"s and some what leveled off there for a few seconds, it eventually got up towards 2300rpms. Once it hit the hill it was gutless. I had to down shift from D4 to D3 and it struggled to make it to the top. Normally I can go up this hill in D4 with no hesitation what so ever. Needless to say I turned around and got back home. Now, last spring I had the fuel pump and injectors rebuilt, I even took the extra measures and removed the fuel tank and cleaned it out. When I got back I looked at the fuel filter (glass type) and it looked good, I could not see any water or debirs inside....Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thansk in advance.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: JD 4240 loosing power Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"looked good" does not mean the filter is not getting clogged.

Personally, I would begin by hooking up a gauge and monitoring transfer pump pressure after the filters.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: JD 4240 loosing power Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 4040 acted like that when the lift pump went bad.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 4240 loosing power Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Change the filter anyhow. Seemed like every time I helped a neighbor, running his 4240, I had to change the filter. That filter is pretty, but I'm thinking there isn't nearly the filtering media as there might be in a spin on.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 4240 loosing power Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob Bancroft wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:06:20 10/26/13) Change the filter anyhow. Seemed like every time I helped a neighbor, running his 4240, I had to change the filter. That filter is pretty, but I'm thinking there isn't nearly the filtering media as there might be in a spin on.

IMHO the rectangular fuel filters are far superior to the spin on fuel filters. BUT the cheapest.easiest diagnostics would be to change fuel filter and check for good fuel flow from the tank to inj pump.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 4240 loosing power Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Far superior? In what way?
Two things I recall when they first appeared was exploding when pressurized with hand primer pump, and company recommending reversing the clamp to minimize sucking air around one of the rubber seals.
Maybe our different experiences are the difference between NY and TX weather!

John in MD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: JD 4240 loosing power Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you check air filters? Remember to check the inner one, not just the outer filter.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: JD 4240 loosing power Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob Bancroft wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:00:10 10/26/13)
Maybe our different experiences are the difference between NY and TX weather!

I remember a very few glass filters exploding from over-pressurization. I also remember a lot of older 3020/4020 that were changed over from round to rectangular filters. If they are so troublesome as you state how come they were factory installed so many years? I know JD utilized rectangular fuel filters from '73-'93

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: JD 4240 loosing power Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know why they were used. Promotion on Roosa Master's part? I didn't think they were, nor did I state that they were terribly troublesome. It's just that they had issues that other filters never had. I recall another incident where a customer pulled one off, shook the crud out of it, put it back on, and proceeded to ruin his injector pump. I suppose that could have been done with any filter. But I think that with the clip mounting, and see through design, it lent itself to this kind of abuse. Didn't they later use a different, opaque material for the housing?
You stated they were "far superior". I would like to know why.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: JD 4240 loosing power Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob Bancroft wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:57:52 10/27/13) Didn't they later use a different, opaque material for the housing?
You stated they were "far superior". I would like to know why.

Later rectangular filters were metal instead of glass. Also the later ones such as my 4255 had different attaching clips. The reason in my mind the rectangular were superior because of the ease to change filters with no need for any tools.

Please read the sentence at the bottom that states rectangular filters have both a primary & secondary stage that some other filters don't have.

Last edited by Tx Jim on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:35 am; edited 2 times in total
larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: JD 4240 loosing power Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fuel filters and air filters have solved many problems with lack of power.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters