Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1855 project

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bison
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I finally picked up the 1855 i bought a while ago which will become 1855 # 3 in my stable
The waukesha 310 engine was removed and dismantled 4-5 years ago by the PO for a rebuilding that never happened and he had it laying in an uncovered pile under a leanto (Wasn't looking pretty)
Upon inspecting all the pieces it appears the engine is worth rebuilding.(crank needs regrinding but everything else looks not bad)
While i'm at it i like to add a bit more grunt to these rather gutless wonders , so i wonder what needs to be done to get an extra 25 or so ponies from it.

I was toying with the Idea of putting a 5.9 cummins in it but the cost of converting is gonna be a wee bit to steep to my liking.

What do you say?

Josh in Pa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think to make the 310 reliable at 125 hp may take some money. I think the crank and rods will need balanced, block may need line bored. If engine is apart, may need head done, and I"ve had a couple that needed the bottom of block where O rings seat sleeved. Is yours an oil cooler block? I think it should be to be worth the effort. As far as getting to 125, I have heard of people getting more just turning up the fuel. I haven"t heard many people think that an 1855 was gutless. Usually they ran pretty hot from the factory, and had more power than a lot of the competition.
Josh

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my 1955 ran 120hp and I worked it as a main tractor for many years, if you have the block with the oil cooler I wouldn't be afraid of a 310 if you do a proper rebuild with good rod bolts, one piece pin bushings ect., everyone wants a 5.9 does everyone forget about the 354 Perkins?

bison
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This engine was already equipped with the one piece pin bushings but it don't has the block mounted oil cooler like one of my other 1855's has.
It is gonna have a complete rebuild.
Crank grind, rods re-sized, valve job,new pistons,rings,bearings.etc

As for being gutless. My other two 1855's run either a hard core baler or a 14' haybine and both have a hard time maintaining 2000 rpm running full bore pulling either , one of them has a 4-53 detroit in it.
I call that rather gutless for 100+ hp engines.

A Perkins 453 migt be a good choice as well but i do have the waukesha and a 5.9 cummins on hand but not a Perkins.

formenwhogrow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gonna need a tub from an 1850, but even so, that's the direction I would head.

CumminsMan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with the 310 not being "gutless", I always thought the 354 Perkins was gutless. The 310 equipped Olivers around here would always walk away from the 2-105 DOT4 Perkins. Nothing like a 310 running at 2500RPM.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like the 310, my 1955 did everything my 105 White did on less fuel and seemed like it was more torquey but with the Perkins you didn't have to worry about a rod ventilating the block.

Newer haven

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow beating up the perkins 310 is fine motor when rebuilt
right but when I spent 7500 on a 310 rebuild and later on
bought two 105's for 8500 each one cab one open station
both at 120 hp don't use fuel what are you thinking?

Brad Metcalf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What did you just say?

bison
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was actually asking for any advice how to add the ponies to a stock 310?

Anyone?

formenwhogrow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh, they're awesome, until pieces of it's insides litter your fields or the crank snaps in half......

90 Percent Retired
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Injectors with larger orifice's, injection pump head with bigger plungers, easy to get 175 HP. Don't stand too close, may stay together 2 minutes or maybe 60 minutes, it's yours to wreck.

Brad Metcalf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry I was talking about newer haven

bison
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys, Rolling Eyes

CDN 400

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1855 project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bison ,do you have any 310 parts around you don't need?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.