Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

266 vs 568 plow difference?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Stordahl
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: 266 vs 568 plow difference? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an Oliver 566 5-bottom semi-mounted plow. I found another one that looks similar, but it"s a model 568. The 568 is also a 5 bottom, but the 5th bottom can be removed. This has appeal to me for plowing alfalfa.

What is the difference, age?

Does one have an advantage over the other?

Any idea where I can get a manual? I"m curious on how to use the long threaded-bolt adjustment on the front, just about the two point mount.

Thanks

Jim

B A Star
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 266 vs 568 plow difference? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 568 plow as compared to the 566 is quite a bit heavier in certain areas.  The 568 plow was available from 4 bottoms to 8 bottoms.  The 566 plow width of cut per bottom can be assembled to cut 14" or 16".  The 568 can be assembled to cut either 16" or 18".
   The hitch is a different design that is not as adjustable.  It is much stronger with a beam that goes rearward and attaches near the backbone.  One of the concerns with the 565/566 hitch was that it was too adjustable, thus operators attached it too low causing failures.  Main backbone could be either be 4 or 5 bottom with 1 bottom or 2 bottom extension.  The tail wheel was either controlled by a front mounted cylinder or a cylinder mounted at the rear, a 5 bottom probably had the cylinder at the front.  The 565/566 plows were introduced in 1963, the 568 in 1967.  An operators manual is available from the Floyd County Museum in Charles City, IA.

Anyway you look at it, OLiver had the best plows and produced more than all other makes.

Jim Stordahl
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 266 vs 568 plow difference? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BA:

You are a veritable fount of Oliver plow information! Thank you!

A friend found the plow sitting in a salvage yard waiting to be recycled. He knew I was looking for one and called me. I plan to bring it home and restore it to use, not parade quality, but practical use.

One more question.... What is the purpose of the long threaded bolt ajustment on the front of my 566? Is it simply to fine tune cutting width, or does it affect the angle of pull?

Most of my equipment is John Deere, but I love my Oliver plow! I also have an 880 Oliver so I have a warm spot for that green as well. I'm always on the lookout for a nice 1655 or 1755 to put on the haybine.

Thank you again for your information, it was most helpful!

Jim

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.