Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sixth gear growl in a 550

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry J. Case
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: sixth gear growl in a 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A while back there was a post about a 550 with a growl in sixth gear. I searched the archives but couldn't find it. I was looking for that post because I had my 550 out on the road recently and it has a really rough sounding growl in sixth, only when pulling.All other gears are quiet. Had this tractor for a couple years but had never had it out on the road. Bummer!
Any comments or advice will be appreciated.

ollie gm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: sixth gear growl in a 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is a bummer. What I do is find a duplicate plug for the transmission drain. Then swap the original with the duplicate. The bad bearing material or gear teeth will be attached to the magnet on the plug, if any. Check the oil that was lost to see if it contains suspended metal particles.

If the plug and oil show clean then maybe its the nature of the beast? My super 55 is pretty quiet in all gears.

Good luck! I know the feeling well.

blue924.9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: sixth gear growl in a 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Harry J. Case wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:51:08 10/30/13) A while back there was a post about a 550 with a growl in sixth gear. I searched the archives but couldn't find it. I was looking for that post because I had my 550 out on the road recently and it has a really rough sounding growl in sixth, only when pulling.All other gears are quiet. Had this tractor for a couple years but had never had it out on the road. Bummer!
Any comments or advice will be appreciated.
it probably has straight cut gears, which are naturally more growly and loud than helacial cut gears, later on tractors adopted the use of helacial gears to reduce noise, i think it would be fine, my grandpa's 770 really growls and its fine

J. Schwiebert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: sixth gear growl in a 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All Super 55 & 550 tractors used helical gear transmissions

blue924.9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: sixth gear growl in a 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

J. Schwiebert wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:50:00 10/31/13) All Super 55 & 550 tractors used helical gear transmissions

i wasnt sure, thanks for correcting me, then the gears are probably wore out, i am most familiar with allis chalemrs, and a way to test them to see if they are wore is to put it into that gear and put a load on it, then open it wide open and slam the throttle closed, you could try that. otherwise the way to know for sure is to crack open the trans or remove the inspection cover (if it has one, i know my wd does) and take a look for yourself

Harry J. Case
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: sixth gear growl in a 550 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I didn't know the plugs were magnetized, I'll take a look at them. Thanks to all for your input.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.