Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a 1996 Silverado 6.5 diesel 4x4 4D A.T. long bed with 213K on it. It is beautiful and super clean and loaded to the hilt, with an awesome customized sound system. Gave $432 for it. Spent another $1000 making repairs. Gets 12.5 mpg not pulling anything according to last fillup. I'm spoiled to 20+ mpg from my old "93 Cummins Dodge. I was wondering if any of you guys might know of some way to significantly improve the fuel mileage, like a chip or something. The inj. pump was rebuilt about 36K ago. Has 4 new glow plugs. Other 4 probably don't work. Runs like a champ. Thanks.

IAtractorKid
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can"t help you much with repairs, but mileage should be higher. My aunt has the same truck but with a manual transmission and is usually around 18mpg empty. She also has a 2wd regular cab that averages well over 20mpg.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It doesn't really need any repairs. It might just be that the additional weight of 4D cab plus the automatic tranny plus the additional weight and resistance of the 4WD transfer case, etc. plus the lower geared rear end all taken together will account for the low fuel mileage, and I should be grateful to be doing at least that good.

mark49
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I generally get around 11 mpg towing 11,000lbs with my '93. You might want to post your question in the 6.5 section of The Diesel Place forum. Lots of people with extensive 6.5 experience over there. Good Luck

Nebraska Kirk
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a '95 6.5 diesel 4x4, it will get 15mpg not loaded, but during the winter the mileage will drop somewhat. Hook onto my 5800 lb gooseneck trailer and the mileage drops to 10mpg with the trailer EMPTY. 7.5-8.5mpg with the trailer loaded. Worst mileage I ever got was 7.2 with 15,000 lbs on that trailer.

ss55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is your truck a 1500 - 1/2 ton, 2500 - 3/4 ton or 3500 - 1 ton? Your trucks weight, tire size and axle ratio will affect your fuel milage.

Inside the glove compartment, on the floor of the box, there were some stickers with the option codes for your truck. If you can still read those stickers you can look up the codes and find your axle ratio.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a 3500, although for some reason it is listed as a 3/4 ton on the title. It's not a dually.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

But thanks for the tip, and thanks to all you other guys for responding with helpful info.

johns
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/

I have a chevy 1 ton with a 6.2 and this is the best website for all things 6.2/6.5 trucks. Click on books and order some of them. They have different volumes and cover everything from increasing mpg, more hp, and overall improvement of your truck.

WayneB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Walter,
I used to have a 6.5 in my pickup, now powered by 5.9 Cummins (5 sp 4x4 4.10 gears).
With the 6.5, I actually got better mileage than the Cummins empty, about same loaded.
My experience with 6.2/6.5s (owned one for 25 year, worked on them in the military, is when power and mileage droop, and the engine idle is not crisp, the timing chain is worn and timing retards. Likely, your timing is now 9-11 ATDC. It needs to be 5.0 - 4.0.
One of the best, cheapest upgrades I did was to replace the timing chain with timing gear set sold on the diesel page. Set it once for the life of the engine. Times just like a 350.
The engine will run cooler, start better, rev better and mileage will improve.

Wayne

WayneB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put a set of the timing gears in a 6.2L (turbo'd) at 110K. Gears and turbo as same time. Truck ran great till 380K and it became a 11 o'clock truck. rings so worn it was hard to start. Ran it till 440K and traded it. When I was shopping for my current truck another salesman had sold mine, and I worked a good deal. Told them it had to be plugged in, or wait till 11am. Fine. Oil pressure was perfect, no leaks, ran like a raped ape.

point is those gears work, and make the engine last even longer and more power than timing chains.

Wayne

Matt in the Thumb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brother has a 98 6.5 in a 2500 ext. cab 4x4. Has around 135K on it I think. He usually averages 19+ mpg, driving mostly 55 mph with the cruise set on country two lane roads.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Wayne. I'll look into it.

farmer boy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1996 Chevy 6.5 Diesel Fuel Mileage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does it have a catayltic converter. I know some did and some didn't. It was a confusing time for the 6.5.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.