Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9N Thermostat Opening?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: 9N Thermostat Opening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Finally got to fire up the 9N last evening. Had mostly water in cooling system. New radiator and thermostat/hoses. After running engine for about an hour and a half, not idling, the lower radiator hose was barely warm. Some steam coming from top side of radiator with cap off (yes, was very careful). Warm air being blown out thru front. Engine block was hot but you could actually lay hand on it a second or two. Assuming the thermostat opened and was keeping cool. That lower hose not getting hot concerned me - or is the new radiator working that good? Do these engines run pretty cool? Thanks in advance for the input. Lots to learn!

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Thermostat Opening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you know for sure that there is a thermostat in the top hose.It could be stuck open.A meat thermometer in the top tank will give you the true temperature of the water coming from the engine.

gcg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Thermostat Opening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it has a new thermostat which I tested in a pan of hot water on the stove, using a meat thermometer. I inserted it with pointy end toward radiator as per the '75 tips' document.

thanks

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Thermostat Opening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The radiator cools the hot water which exits from the top of the engine. The water in the lower hose is basically the coolest point in the system. Since you were running the engine without load there was very little heat going into the radiator, which is designed to cool the engine at full load on a hot day. The cool lower hose also indicates the thermostat is operating as intended.

L.B,
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Thermostat Opening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds ok to me.

gcg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Thermostat Opening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I totally forgot to mention qty of water - in that I only was able to put about 2.5 gallons in there until I was at top of core, expecting the level to go down in radiator as air voids were worked out of the system. But the level never went down. Documentation I'm seeing says 12-14 qts capacity.

JCinKY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Thermostat Opening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gcg wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:44:56 11/06/13) I totally forgot to mention qty of water - in that I only was able to put about 2.5 gallons in there until I was at top of core, expecting the level to go down in radiator as air voids were worked out of the system. But the level never went down. Documentation I'm seeing says 12-14 qts capacity.

4 qts per gallon x 2.5 gallons = 10 qts.

That's about right if you didn't drain the block and flush out all the crud.

gcg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Thermostat Opening? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, should have mentioned that I drained the block as well as the radiator itself.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.