Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changed PTO shaft, still occasionally popping out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marmon77
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Changed PTO shaft, still occasionally popping out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I changed out the PTO shaft on my 851 because it was popping out and from what I read on here changing the shaft was probably the thing to do. Well it worked but after about an hour of mowing it would occasionally pop out. Any ideas? Thanks

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Changed PTO shaft, still occasionally popping out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Worn dent ball or weak dent spring will cause that problem

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Changed PTO shaft, still occasionally popping out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i know you said you changed it. but.

any thrust play on the new shaft?

past that .. do check the detent as old mentioned.

post back.

marmon77
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Changed PTO shaft, still occasionally popping out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No play in new shaft, pulled on it pretty good no movement. Are those parts easy to get to and change? Reason I ask is that tractor is at hunt camp and I would like to order the parts and change them out when I go back up in a few weeks.
Also, if I need to start new thread let me know, I put Hyd. fluid in for PTO and after a few hours there's none on the dip stick, pulled gear case plug out, the next to right foot, and it was waaay full drained out a good bit. I had a guy tell me that the lines that run from the pump back to the pto may have corroded and are leaking into the gear case?. Your thoughts gents.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Changed PTO shaft, still occasionally popping out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

first.. so we can understand you.. lets get some terminology straight.

the 'pto' doesn't use any fluid.. least not hyd anyway.

your machine, aft of the engine, has 3 sumps. tranny, then hyds, then rear end.

the sump with the check level by your foot is the tranny.

now... as someone told you.. the hyd lines fromt he engine pump run thru the tranny to the center section. it is common for the high pressur eline to rust/pinhole/perforate and then it literally sucks the center hyds section dry and overfills the tranny.

repair is to pull the old tube and then have a new tube machined and press it in.. or.. to drianthe sump.. swab the tube clean with solvent and a shotgun swab on a rod.. and then get some tubing.. some have used 10mm.. some have used slightly smaller.. and coat it with a non quick set epoxy liberally.. then push it in flush and allow to cure.

success rate for the bandaid fix is better than half..

On rare occasion I have seen reports here of a problem with the sleeve repair includig buildup of goop at the tube inlet.. also there has been posed some minor concern over reduced pipe flow due to smaller pipe id. luckilly this is a low flow system with a max near 4gpm.. and nominal flor rate near 2.5-3gpm, with excess oil unloaded and exhausted to sump.

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Changed PTO shaft, still occasionally popping out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be sure the telescoping part of the cutter is well lubricated. If not it can exert great force on the in and out of the PTO shaft. Maybe making the new one move ever so slightly.

I just last week helped a friend who could'nt get his cutter shaft to move in or out to hook up and found it was a three sided shaft and had never had any grease on it and had worn so much that it was about to start slipping on the three sided spline and had locked up.

It is ruined and had to replace, big money.

Zane

marmon77
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Changed PTO shaft, still occasionally popping out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First off, SouNdguy my apologies, I tried to delete the second half of that post wasn't sure if I should have started another thread that's why it's a double post.
So I should be using only gear oil in all 3 sumps? I understand what you said about inserting smaller tube inside tube already there, buuut if I wanted to replace the line I would have to split the tractor? Not looking to do more work just would like better odds of it being fixed than 50%.
Thanks guys just trying to learn what I can.

marmon77
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Changed PTO shaft, still occasionally popping out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well stupid me. I should have read all the post, lol. Zane explained that it has seals that I need to replace. Is that instead of the lines or as well as the lines?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.