Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

No spark

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dyoungen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1954 NAA Ford Tractor and am having trouble getting her started. I seem to be having the loss of spark. I have a new coil, points, condenser, rotor and cap. I pulled the cap off this morning after checking the plugs and finding no spark at the plugs. The points open and close like they're supposed to and the right gap. I had the plugs out and the cap off and when I turned the key like to start her, the points sparked nice and blue. Somewhere between the points and plugs I seem to be losing the spark. Any idea what I"m missing?

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you ar elooking at closed points and turn the ignition on and you see a spark. you have a bad connection!

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

soundGuy - I think he's saying that he spun the engine with the starter with the dizzy cap and rotor off and he saw spark at the points.

dyoungen - Unhook the large wire from the center of the distributor cap but leave the other end connected to the coil, leave the free end of the wire near a good ground with the boot slid up so the copper connector is exposed, and try spinning the engine with the starter again. You should see a good blue/white spark that should jump at leas a 1/4" gap.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is he?

the keys on my prior model fords just turn on power to the coil... the safety interlocked button on the trans is what spins the starter.

I don't want to guess about what he said.. so I'm taking him verbatum, unless he wants to offer up more info...

brushbuster
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check the wire at the ignition switch may get voltage and no amps due to a loose wire or a bad crimp on the wires

brushbuster
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

could be a loose wire or a bad crimp terminal lets voltage in but not enough amps

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When he said "turned the key like to start her" I took that to mean that he spun the starter, but you're right, if it has the original wiring the starter switch would have needed to have been pushed as well.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You did put the rotor in didn't you and the clip on the distributor shaft?? Seen many a person lay the rotor to the side and wonder why no spark to the plugs. Next just because it is new does not mean the rotor and cap are good. Any more I do my best not to replace much due to the fact most is bad from the get go. If you still have the old cap and rotor try them and see if you have spark then

dyoungen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess I should have described things better. The tractor was converted to 12 volt system before I bought it 2 or 3 years ago. It ran great till a couple months ago when I couldn't get it started. I've replaced the dizzy cap, rotor, points and condensor. I've pulled the plugs and sometimes get blue spark that goes to no spark at the plugs that are grounded to the engine block. while I'm turning the engine over with the plugs out. I replaced the starter because it was beyond working right, worn out and turning slow. I pulled everything off the dizzy, cap, dust cover,rotor, clip and turned the key so the engine turned over. The points sparked blue so I"m thinking something is breaking down between the points and the plugs. Any idea where to start looking?

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the points are sparking good every time they break apart as the distributor shaft turns, then the next place to look is the coil. As I said before, unhook the large wire from the center of the distributor cap but leave the other end connected to the coil, leave the free end of the wire near a good ground with the boot slid up so the copper connector is exposed, and try spinning the engine with the starter again. You should see a good blue/white spark that should jump at least a 1/4" gap from the end of that wire to ground every time you see the spark at the points. If you're not getting good spark at the high tension wire from the coil then either the coil is bad or the high tension wire is bad.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1, your posts tells me you have a key to start system. I do not reccomend those. the machine can start in gear and hurt/kill you or somebody else.

hotwire the coil and then recheck spark.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Doesn't the fact that the points are sparking mean that the hot side of the coil is getting juice? All the points do is complete the circuit to ground.

dyoungen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just to make sure I hoked up the coil right I have the "+" plus terminal going to the Dizzy and the - negative terminal going the other way. I haven't followed the negative terminal wire so I"m not sure where it goes. If I"m right or wrong let me know one way or the other. THANKS!!!

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You said that it was converted to 12 volts. Is it set up as a negative ground system now? The original 6 volt system was positive ground, but most folks switch them to negative ground when they convert them to 12 volts. If it is negative ground, then the (-) terminal of the coil should go to the points. The (+) side of the coil should go to the key switch.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

in good habbit, match your round coil to the battery polarity. thus if positive ground, thent he + on the coil to the points.

( PPP ) - Positve, Plus, Points

if it is neg grnd.. then the - to the points.

in practice. it WILL work both ways.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters