Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter Rye advice needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotflashjr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Winter Rye advice needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't get all of my winter rye out a few weeks ago when temps were warmer. This is just cover crop for erosion control and a little green manure for spring. We have a string of nights in the 20's coming up. 10 day shows warmer nights and days in the 50's a few days out. Do I wait or do I put it out? Is it just too late? I am in western MA. Thanks!

Tim(nj)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Rye advice needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Plant. I'm doing some today and tomorrow. I have put in rye as late as Thanksgiving(!) and it grew. Wouldn't have been a good enough stand for grain but certainly satisfied the cover crop requirement.

tn.jed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Rye advice needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i put some in last week its growing. had a few frosts the couple nights after I planted it. Pretty cheap seed, I would plant it. how much ground we talking about

Dave Sandy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Rye advice needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"m planting rye today too, in PA. It should do fine as a cover crop, rye is tuff stuff.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Rye advice needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would not for grain, but for cover, if it doesn't come up now likely will in spring. Give it a try.

Paul

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Rye advice needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I could get away with it here, not sure it would germinate now, but on the hillside here, the sun may warm the soil up enough, for sure it would come up with the other grasses in the spring, I may do the same, if I can get the stack of logs across my garden, so don't have to run on it after fall tillage, surely it would come up in spring. I've had semi composted organic matter with oats in it, tilled into my upper garden and it germinated in the spring, surprised the heck out of me, never thought it would germinate after being in the soil all winter.

RickB
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Rye advice needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had to plant rye here in Dutchess County NY this late, but not by choice, of course. I'd go for it.

Hotflashjr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Rye advice needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am going to put it in today. I put in a fall green manure crop with cow peas, vetch, and crimson clover along with rye in two seedings a few weeks ago. The first plot did great. The second is much thinner including the rye. This was the 1/4 acre at our house. I have to do the 2 acres at our field which gets all day sun so I am hoping for a bit better result on just rye.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.