Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

best exhaust for me

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tn.jed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: best exhaust for me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am going to be changing my exhaust over soon. Years ago I got a brand new exhaust from the local farm store. I was workin on a brush pile and it beat that exhaust up pretty bad. I replaced it with one of those silly little vertical stacks. Mmmmm the fresh scent of burning fuel what a wonderful thing. Well not so bad at first but now I am rethinking things. With this j pipe for the vertical exhaust it loops down about 9 inches from the manifold then tuns back up. The running board on the tractor is about 9 inches lower than the manifold. I am thinking about cutting the j pipe mid bend where it is at its s lowest point then putting a straight pipe or with a slight bend to get around the bell then mounting a Walker Quiet flow for a Honda under the running board with a turn down. It all looks like it will line up pretty well. The muffler will is just as wide as the running board and only hangs down 4 inches which puts it higher than the original muffler that got beat up. I have seen where some people have done similar things, is there anyone with any advice?

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: best exhaust for me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put a chrome muffler off a Harley Roadking on mine,it worked great and looked good,I think people that worry about exhaust fires from low mufflers haven't done a lot of farming,it'a a rare event when it happens,more combine fires by far and not from exhaust!

tn.jed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: best exhaust for me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my concern with it hanging low is the crap I run over that bounces up and crushes the exhaust. I think it will fit up under the running board nicely and be a little more protected from Debries hitting it. I found a 18x 7.5x3.75 oval for 29 bucks on summit. add a tail spout and were in bizness jut did some measuring on it all looks well. Have to figure out hoe I am going to attach it but thats little stuff I was thinking of just welding 1" flat steel to it with a hole drilled fer attaching somewhere Any ideas on attachment?

L.B,
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: best exhaust for me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eliminate the muffler, run a straight pipe the same length as if you had a muffler and clamp the end in the hanger under the axle. I have a N with a loader and straight pipe. Sounds like a Farmall M.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: best exhaust for me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i agree.. straight pipeing it will eliminate an underslung muffler from catching stuff.

tn.jed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: best exhaust for me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

perfect. Think that's what I'll do. After I put the "underslung" pipe + muffler back on, there isn't much room to gain by putting a diffrent muffler on. I don't think it would be that much louder as a straight pipe would it? If anything it will drown out the valves.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: best exhaust for me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 640 has had a vertical exhaust for 27 years and I have never been bothered by exhaust fumes.I sawed wood with a cordwood saw for 3 hours today and would be sick if I had an exhaust pipe blowing fumes at me for 3 hours.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: best exhaust for me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sound is out the back... not bad...

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: best exhaust for me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you have it figured out...Go for it!

Jimmyjack
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: best exhaust for me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To each his own! Thats why they make two different methods of exhausting. I have both and they both have their advantages and disadvantages. I work in the woods a lot and if I had to have one, it would probably be horizontal. I repair the vertical more than the horizontal,

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters