Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stalk chopping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk Affeldt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yesterday, I had the chance to try out my 'new" stalk chopper. My chopper is a New Idea #61 shredder. I bought this over the summer and hadn't been used nor out of the shed in over 20 years. The guy I bought it from said his dad bought it new, and he still had the rear hitch for it. Despite the stalks being wet the shredder did a pretty good job.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Funny looking thing, but looks like it works. Guessing it would be helpful for corn borrer control. Also help with plowing under stalks in the spring with moldboard plow.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw one of those, a 2 row, on a sale once.

Of course stalk chopping with a stalk chopper is very commonplace here, just the single shaft style.

I was chopping last night with my new to me Balzer, until a spring broke I didn't know, shredded the belt.

Lot of folk have gone to chopping corn heads, eliminate the seperate pass.

Paul

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is neat. I've never seen one. What is the rear hitch for? How is the power transmitted- belts, chains? I assume no gearbox.

Tim(nj)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The design makes sense for me. It's close coupled to the tractor, and most row-crop tractors were open with the rear seat hung back on the rear axle, no cabs . . . think about it, anything solid would be thrown to the side with that design instead of back up on the tractor and operator.

dustycoal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Think you have a nice piece of equipment. Good luck with it.

Kirk Affeldt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The power is transferred through belts, and they were put on new the last time the seller and his dad used it. In the brochure I have for it, there is a picture of a disk being pulled behind the shredder. IF I can find the brochure, I will post that picture. Otherwise, I don't know what else you would have pulled behind it. I have another one of these New Idea shredders but it is missing a PTO piece so it will be my parts machine. My dad had one back in the mid 1980s and I would chop stalks as a kid for him. We had a mounted corn picker so there was more material to chop. In my pictures I was out on a corn field being combined. I bought this for my corn picking day on the farm to chop up the headlands and for an opportunity for an old-timer to jump on a tractor and run around the field.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got to get at that this week. I just finished picking the first 15 acres today. I want to get that field cut and baled before I move on to pick any more. I use an MC Rotary Scythe.

Tim(nj)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe pull a rake behind to windrow the cut stalks for baling? I've seen that ad with the disk behind the shredder somewhere too.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In case you did not know the No. 61 was built mid 54 to 57 in lots 6 to 14 and it followed the No. 60 that I have, mine is lot S2built first year 53 and 60 was lots 1 - 5. The 451 came out lots S15 to S18 for 58 & 59. And you can get through 36" rows but not 30" with them. Mine is no longer used. It was at the New Idea 100 year open house. Quit using it when went to 30" rows and no longer farming.

Alan K
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Neat pictures. Its always fun using a "new' piece of equipment isnt it? I bought a model 60 IH stalk chopper to use. It is fun to get them running and watch them in operation. You have a neat one there.

ss55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A hitch for a disk makes sense.

My first thought was the green frame might be a safety guard to keep people & animals some distance from the rotating knives, yet be open enough to not resrict stalk flow.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we had one of those years ago, it beat the heck out of the long stalks from a picker, it had a gearbox or some open gears or something I don't recall that went out so we parked it, we had another one we were going to part out to fix it like it but the parts were differen't between the two

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: stalk chopping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a stalk chopper too: Its a little older than yours. Old guy next door said when he was young that the stalk chopper was a grand tool to have as all they had to cut up stalks was a small team disc that just rolled over the stalks.

the old one row stalk chopper made the job much easier.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.