Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

65 lift cover revisited

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brendon Warren
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: 65 lift cover revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As for the lift cover I've replaced the bushings and O-rings. Tightened everything up a lot, maybe not perfect but good enough for who it's for. Now for the next trick, I've would like to adjust the endplay and put a new boot on the top link. I'm assuming it requires a special "spanner" wrench to remove the retainer nut. I thought I saw a post where someone made one, but I can't find it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: 65 lift cover revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brendan, first you need to loosen the small grub screw on the right-hand side. This tightens against a small lead ball to lock the threads.Sometimes you can get away with a blunt punch to loosen the nut sometimes you need heat.....sometimes you need a new nut! The inner bit is real difficult to tighten., in fact the easiest way is to cut through the rod with a hack saw so you can get something to grip to get it loosened, remember there is a roll pin through the end of this rod also. You can either weld the rod again or buy a new rod, they are not expensive.
Sam

DavidP, South Wales
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: 65 lift cover revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, further to Samn40's reply the attached photo shows the dimensions of what is for us the MF 163 Control Spring Nut Wrench. Time spent making one will be well rewarded especially if it is likely to be used on more than one tractor.
You can do as Sam suggestes or my normal way is to tack weld the rod head to the cup and use a stilson to unscrew the rod. You will need a lathe to remove the weld after. The thread is very fine so it is vital that you use a penetrating fluid such as WD40 immediately you have movement. There is a very real possibility that the parts will 'pick-up' and you will need to replacve both. When reassembling the rod MUST be adjusted so that the spring is tight to turn BY HAND. Don't forget to fit the rubber boot!
Follow remaining instructions as per the workshop manual.
DavidP, South Wales

MF135 diesel
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 65 lift cover revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I posted a picture on 10/14/13, page 7 under "Thank you David P". Definitely make the tool. I tried a punch and it is very hard to do since there is so little room to maneuver. I made the tool out of 1/4" steel with grade 8 bolts as the pins following David P"s dimensions. It worked great after heating the housing that the nut sets in. The fine threaded bolt inside I soaked with 50/50 acetone/ATF and then heated the sleeve in fits in very hot and it finally came loose. Just be patient and not try to force anything and it will eventually come loose.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.