Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

battery charging question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: battery charging question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When charging the battery on my 1957, to35

Should I disconnect the + battery cable?

I do not want to fry the regulator.

Thanks for your input on this subject.

jobob
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: battery charging question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Disconnect both-just 4 safe

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: battery charging question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's NO need to disconnect the battery. Simply match charger (+) to battery (+) and charger (-) to battery (-).

2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: battery charging question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was always told to pop the caps to vent, but I've charged sealed batteries with no problem.

rvirgil_KS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: battery charging question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When generator voltage is less than battery voltage (engine off or idling) the cutout in the regulator opens and disconnects battery from the charging system. When generator voltage rises above battery voltage the cutout closes to charge the battery.

Assuming your cutout is working it already has the battery disconnected from the regulator when the engine is off.

John(UK)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: battery charging question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is always safer to remove the Battery Cables if you are unsure and then you cant do any harm. If you were used to doing this you could do it without removing the Cables, but it is definitely safer if you are unsure and you cannot do any harm...John(UK) fergusontractors@hotmail.com

Z-man
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: battery charging question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would disconnect both terminals, sometime the terminals may need replaced and can be hard to work with and that is why some don't disconnect terminals, however the terminal should be in good shape for best connect when starting the engine, but I always disconnect both to charge just to be safe

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.