Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

power steering cylinder o rings MF 65

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew in Georgia
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: power steering cylinder o rings MF 65 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mornin All, I have a question. My 65 has leaked fluid from the steering ram for a while and I decided to pull it apart for a look. I found the cylinder shaft had a rough spot and this had grooved the o ring and wiper giving chance to leak. My shop book covers three pump models and is a reproduction of the original so I"ve no idea what "kit" I would buy. The ram/cylinder has only 6 o rings ( I did not open the smaller power assist cylinder as it isn"t leaking..yet) with two of these, one is the wiper, being odd shaped. The rest I could find in the hardware store. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your time.

Dieseltech
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: power steering cylinder o rings MF 65 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I remember correctly there were 2 power steering cylinders used, one was a welded model, and one had 4 tie rod bolts. Find what you have in the parts list as the kits were different.

Andrew in Georgia
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: power steering cylinder o rings MF 65 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you Sir, it has the bolts. I believe it is the Wooster pump if that helps with the type. The ram piston has no o rings or washers but has two metal rings like an engine's piston.
Something I'm curious about is, under the red and grey paint the tractor seems to be yellow. I have a repro brochure showing a yellow model industrial tractor. I wonder if this makes a difference in part listings?

patiolant
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: power steering cylinder o rings MF 65 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I did mine a few years ago, the dealer kit was universal for both types of cylinders (mine had the bolts) so there were parts left over.

Andrew in Georgia
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: power steering cylinder o rings MF 65 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, would you happen to know the stock number of the kit? I've been searching for hours and think I have the cylinder part number as 183074M91. Strange as it sounds this info is NOT in the shop manual that I have. It has pictures and descriptions but no part numbers. I've surfed the kit pictures and don't see the oddball seals I need. I am happy to see the piston rod is available for 30 bucks. Mine has a rough patch that I took out with some 400G sandpaper going around the shaft, not along the length of it. If that doesn't work then I can get a new one.

patiolant
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: power steering cylinder o rings MF 65 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

830860M92. I did both the main and the power assist cylinder, and all seals I needed were in the kit. As said above, my main cylinder was the one with four large bolts holding it together. Good luck with it.

Andrew in Georgia
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: power steering cylinder o rings MF 65 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do thank you. After the entire afternoon searching I found the same number but it is great to hear a confirmation that it is correct. I found these kits from Turkey priced at 5.50 each, but you have to buy 1000 kits at a time. Looks like I'm spending about 70 bucks for the kit.

Larry in WNY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: power steering cylinder o rings MF 65 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 65 gas utility model is still yellow. It doesn't have a PTO or 3 point hitch. It has a heavy duty loader on it.

Larry

Andrew in Georgia
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: power steering cylinder o rings MF 65 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

any idea why the different color? Have you noticed that any "normal" parts do not fit? By the way, I had a headlight that was not working but tested good with ohm meter. Found a brass grounding tang that has to contact the metal housing for the bulb to work. The bulb had been installed 180 degrees from factory and the tang couldn't touch metal. I recently made a bracket and installed an alternator, saved the dynamo for later rewind.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.