Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ballast Resistor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Ballast Resistor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What does a ballast resistor do? I am wiring up a Worthington Tractor that I picked up. It has a Ford Model "B" engine which is similar to the 9N. I'm using a Ford Model "B" Car and a Ford 9N wiring diagram as a guide. Both diagrams show a resistor before the coil. The Worthington's old wiring harness did not have a resistor. Do I need one? I am adding lights and it's still 6V Positive Ground. If I need one can I use one from a 9N?

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ballast Resistor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a true ballast resistor, as opposed to a fixed resistor, has minimal resistance when cold & increases resistance as it heats up. The purpose is to allow max current to the coil for start up & then reduce current while the engine as running.

It depends on the internal resistance of the coil you are using.

For example, a front coil (2N & 9N) had a very low internal resistance (.3 to 1.5 ohms) and requires a ballast resistor. An 8N w/ a round coil does not need a ballast resistor because the internal coil resistance is greater than 3.25 ohms.

The A model Ford used a round coil, no ballast resistor. AFAIK, the 4 cylinder B model Ford engine also used a round coil & probably does need a resistor. But, to be sure, just measure the internal coil resistance.

And BTW, a B model Ford engine is only similar to an N engine in that it's a 4 cylinder flat head.

BIGR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ballast Resistor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, how do you test the resistance? Also, is there such a thing as using the resistor and not harm anything if you don't need it. Can I use one from the 9N? I have one sitting on the shelf?
Thanks for the help!

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ballast Resistor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

'how do you test the resistance?'

With a multi-meter. Set it on resistance.

' is there such a thing as using the resistor and not harm anything if you don't need it.'

Too much resistance in the ignition circuit will make it hard to start & run poorly because of a weak spark.

' Can I use one from the 9N?'

You just don't stick a resistor in a circuit w/o knowing what the coil will handle. The 9N OEM ballast resistor is about .3 ohms cold & 1.7 ohms hot. It might be too much or too little resistance.

What does your coil look like?

BIGR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ballast Resistor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a round coil and it says Delco-Remy 6V on it.Looks like it's the original? At least simlilar to what the original was.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ballast Resistor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 6 V round coil needs no resistance as long as you are using a 6 volt battery.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ballast Resistor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As said, the round can doesn't need the resistor @ 6V.
The 9N/2N and early 8N did not have a round coil, they used
the square coils so you will see it in all of their wiring diagrams.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.