Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New snow removal setup

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CameronP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Scored this rear plow from a friend free of charge
last weekend. It's an old manual angle truck plow
with a homemade 3 pt attachment system.

It plowed snow on the back of a Masey 35 for over a
decade so I'm hoping it will do ok on the 8N.
Chains will be the next purchase...

tesmith66
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You put it on the wrong end Surprised Surprised Now your neck's gonna get sore. Smile

Looks good!

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Serious sized plow. Get some REALLY large rear view mirrors and a neck brace ! Enjoy

john B. ne in

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a snow plow set up just like yours. Other than the top link, I would have thought it was mine. My top link brace is straight where yours is curved. I'm thinking you probably used metal on hand when building your plow like I did. I have the 2 adjustable feet which works well when the ground is soft. I move the feet washers from the top to the bottom. After the ground has some solid frost, I usually don't need them. If you don't have them you can buy them at TSC.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It looks like a Dearborn plow that someone cobbled up a bit. Should work fine though and free is always good.
Nice score.

jon
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice lookin' tractor too!

Delvaughn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you thought about moving the tires from right to left to make the tire bars work going backward?

MRinMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you"re on a level surface, good. Otherwise I would suggest chains, weights and stabilizer bars.

CameronP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll try my best to cover all the questions here:

It was made by a friend of mine's grandfather who is a heavy equipment mechanic; he has actually made a couple of them. This one was sitting in the back woods and I was told it was mine if I could get it out of there. Getting it into the truck was a serious workout.

Not sure of the brand, there was a tag riveted to the top, but it was rusted beyond readability.

As far as feet, the ones at TSC didn't look like they'd fit. I will have to make some measurements and keep my eye out for some.

I thought about flipping the tires to run in reverse, but its seems like as soon as the ground gets hard and the snowpack solidifies, the tread doesn't matter at all its the chains that do all the work. And it will do double duty hauling firewood outback over the winter and I'll need the traction going forward.

The driveway is flat and short, no inclines to complicate things. I will order some chains soon and the tires have calcium in them. The previous owner drained a good bit of the water out so they may not have enough weight. But that's a question for another post.

I'll update with more pictures once we get some plowable snow around here.

Bill Rowles
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chains on the tires will be needed but tires will be fine working in reverse with the chains on. If you operate with hydraulic system in position control, just lift the blade an inch and weight of the blade will put plenty of down-force on the rear wheels for traction , if you have the tire chains on. Skids will be needed to keep the blade from digging in to the driveway stone. Stabilizer bars will help to prevent side-sway control problems and damage to the small chains and brackets that limit hydraulic attachment arm side-sway.

Tiger Joe
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a dearborn front mount blade on my 8n, and that blade looks pretty close but not exact. only things that look different to me are the springs and the skid slots. mine takes the same skids as a normal meyers or western plow.

its cool looking but i cant imagine plowing in reverse.

CameronP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bill Rowles wrote:
Stabilizer bars will help to prevent side-sway control problems and damage to the small chains and brackets that limit hydraulic attachment arm side-sway.

I'm glad this came up. I was testing the plow out trying to knock down a pothole in the driveway and I snapped the pin in the clevis holding those chains.

I'd like to add stabilizers but I was looking at the plow this morning and that might be a problem. It is pretty wide so I'm worried that might cause problems with stabilizer bars. I took some pictures to illustrate and maybe you guys with more experience have an idea of what would work:

Thanks,

Cameron

Last edited by CameronP on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Dollar Bill
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The three point was designed to work under tension, not compression. It's not unusual to break any part of the check chains when backing up and the implement encounters an obstacle that causes it to shift to one side - The only thing stopping the swing is your check chains - I would recommend using sway bars to save your chains.

pikewi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what I can see stabilizer bars shouldn't be a problem. They run from a bracket under the fenders and back to the imp. Looks like room for them to me

CameronP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: New snow removal setup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pikewi wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:53:08 11/19/13) From what I can see stabilizer bars shouldn't be a problem. They run from a bracket under the fenders and back to the imp. Looks like room for them to me

I was hesitant to order the bars because this plow's mount is wider than the fender brackets. But I guess there isn't anything stopping me from hammering the bars to bend outwards instead of inwards like I've seen them in most setups.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.