Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gravely walk behind

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmall Bob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Gravely walk behind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Gentlemen,
I did the suggestions that you gave me.
^ Cleaned the Oil Filler Cap
* Changed the oil to a standard 30 weight
* Cleaned the Air Filter with air nozzle
* Cleaned the spark plug
* Cleaned the inside of the head
* Replaced the head gasket with another
I ran it for about 10 minutes, and no smoke!!
Now I can complete my project before the ground freezes. Thank you for your help.
Bob

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Gravely walk behind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's good news Bob! We it me, I'd just sort of keep and eye on things and see how she does. No sense tearing into her if she's not really broke. The old Gravelys will run forever with a little care.

Farmall Bob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gravely walk behind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Bret,
I am so excited, this old Gravely looks like a piece
of s_ _ _, but it is an engineering marvel! It
worked great at the community garden, and now those
bad bugs can kiss their you know what good by! The
ground has started to freeze, but this old Gravely
kept strong. I have (3) others that are apart though
almost finished. They will make for a good winter
project. Thanks for the comments.
Bob

jeffcat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gravely walk behind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have two Gravelys. The big beast is a commercial 10 with a ten horse Kohler 118lb engine! The model "L" is a 1962 6.6hp engine. I have a Roto plow. You have GOTA get one of these! There is something I added to my model L. Find a local mower Etc. salvage yard and pull the oil pressure gauge off of one. It is an accsesory! you will need the little brass "T" pipe and gauge, everything else just hooks in. Cost maybe $15.oo. Also don't use a Fram Ph8a oil filter. It is way too messy. Use a PH16 filter. It is about 3/4 of an inch shorter and much easier to got on and off.

Farmall Bob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gravely walk behind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,
I have an oil pressure gauge, and the indicator needle goes all the way up. Also I have two rotary plows, they work great. Also have a bush hog mower.
The oil filter is a PH-43 I will try that smaller one you mentioned. Thanks.
Bob

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Gravely walk behind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the rotary plow, don't forget to check the oil level. I have 2 I think and one is in need of new bearings because PO didn't add oil. They made a rotary cultivator you'll often see advertised as a "tiller" that bolt to the rotary plow case. Wonderful tool for cultivation if you have the room.

At one time I had 13 running Gravely L's and boxes and barrels of parts. Renter got rid of a lot of stuff on me that can not be replaced. Had a few dozen implements. The day I found out he'd junked it was a dark and angry day for me.

Farmall Bob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gravely walk behind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bret,
I am sorry to hear about your loss. These things are
priceless! Will he pay for the loss? I have these
(4) and work on them for winter projects, thinking
that if country goes to hell someone may need one
for gardening.
ob

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Gravely walk behind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Farmall Bob wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:36:25 11/22/13) Bret,
I am sorry to hear about your loss. These things are
priceless! Will he pay for the loss? I have these
(4) and work on them for winter projects, thinking
that if country goes to hell someone may need one
for gardening.
ob

Pay for it? Right! Naw, that was close to 20 years back now. I think your right about things headed down hill though. BCS makes a good modern version but it's expe$$$$ive. There were some guys trying to fit a low speed diesel to an L model frame. No matter what they try it's still too fast running. That's the problem with the Kohler powered ones like Jeff mentioned above. I ahve one and it's find for mowing the lawn with a finish mower, but it's way too fast for the plow, the sickle bar, the bush hog, the old snowblowers, etc. I think those Gravely engines ran about 400 rpm wide open. Nothing else comes close.

jeffcat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gravely walk behind Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PS the Ph16 filter is about 3/8 of an inch shorter. They were made for the smaller 4cyl engine in cars where things get tight.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.