Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ford 4000 old not sure maybe 60's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomas w stinson
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: ford 4000 old not sure maybe 60's Reply to specific post Reply with quote

trying to remove head, oil line will not come up everthing is loose took pan dn no conection there line swivles and moves but will not come out please advise thank you in advance

Jr in nwmo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 old not sure maybe 60's Reply to specific post Reply with quote

as I remember its got an o ring on it that becomes hard with age,you may have to pull on it,sounds like its a pre 65 model 4cyl?

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 old not sure maybe 60's Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should always specify which version of the 4000 tractor that you're talking about. There were 2 different 4000 series Ford tractors. The earlier one had a 4 cylinder engien and the later one had a 3 cylinder engine, but the cut-over date between them was 1956, so they were both made in the 1960's.

I assume that since you're talking about the oil tube that it is the earlier4 cylinder version. I haven't ever had to pull a head on one of those so i don't have any first hand experience, but I've read of similar problems from others wen trying to get the tube out. If you searhc through the archive s her you might find some tricks that others have used to get them out. Or hopefully one of those folks will come along shortly and give you some advice.

cbrown9064
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 old not sure maybe 60's Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sean in PA wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:02:07 11/27/13) You should always specify which version of the 4000 tractor that you're talking about. There were 2 different 4000 series Ford tractors. The earlier one had a 4 cylinder engien and the later one had a 3 cylinder engine, but the cut-over date between them was 1956, so they were both made in the 1960's.

I assume that since you're talking about the oil tube that it is the earlier4 cylinder version. I haven't ever had to pull a head on one of those so i don't have any first hand experience, but I've read of similar problems from others wen trying to get the tube out. If you searhc through the archive s her you might find some tricks that others have used to get them out. Or hopefully one of those folks will come along shortly and give you some advice.

Got your numbers twisted while typing Sean! 1965...
Chris

Will Gumbert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 old not sure maybe 60's Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As others said, this assumes earlier 4-cylinder engine.
Shop manual shows grasping it with pliers, but be careful. I would suggest cutting a piece of rubber tubing, slit it and slide it over the tube and then try the pliers. -Will

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 old not sure maybe 60's Reply to specific post Reply with quote

cbrown9064 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:12:57 11/27/13)
Sean in PA wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:02:07 11/27/13) You should always specify which version of the 4000 tractor that you're talking about. There were 2 different 4000 series Ford tractors. The earlier one had a 4 cylinder engien and the later one had a 3 cylinder engine, but the cut-over date between them was 1956, so they were both made in the 1960's.

Got your numbers twisted while typing Sean! 1965...
Chris

Yeah, my fingers never listen to my brain when I'm typing. I usually read back over a post about 10 times and fix mistakes like that before I actually click on the submit button, but some still make it through anyway.

thomas w stinson
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 old not sure maybe 60's Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank you for the info, I tried pulling on it but it seemed so solid at the pt of resistance, so i quit your right about the typo's and yes it apparently is pre 65 I'll give it another crack using your suggestion of rubber insulate I'll let you know.

Tom

WayneIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 old not sure maybe 60's Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is possible that the oil line may not be in it"s original shape when you get it out of the tractor. A vice grip leveraged over the rocker arms and twist will get it buuuut!!!!! Some of them can be tough cookies.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 old not sure maybe 60's Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just get a good grip on it and yank it out. better than damaging it with pliers. If the grommet is bad it is bad, you can find some material to stick on there to seal and hold it.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 old not sure maybe 60's Reply to specific post Reply with quote

oil it with a lil atf. make sure hold downs loose. and twist while pulling.

if the grommet is tight.. it will be ahrd.. but should move with twisting.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.